May
13th 2011
Berks blog meetup: Friday, June 10th, 5:30-6:30 p.m.

Posted under: Berkshire Conference, women's history

Come and git us!

Howdy, friends!  It’s just a month until the Fifteenth Berkshire Conference on the History of Women will convene at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst on June 9-12.  (See the program here–it explains it all.)  I can’t wait!

Tenured RadicalClio Bluestocking, Another Damned Medievalist, Janice Liedl, Knitting Clio, and I have found a good time for a blogger (and blog reader) meetup, after the sessions end on Friday afternoon, and before the dining hall closes at (the improbably early hour of) 7 p.m.  So, we’ll be hanging out in the Grad Lounge of the Lincoln Campus Center from 5:30 to 6:30–come join us and enjoy the beverage of your choice!  If you consult the campus map on page 27 of the program, you’ll see that the Lincoln Campus Center is also the conference hotel, and is right across the street from Worcester Dining, where you can find your dinner after the meetup.

I’d like to buy you all a drinkie–but this time we’ll all go dutch.  Remember, our blogs are labors of love and professional devotion, which is why they’re proudly ad free!

27 Responses to “Berks blog meetup: Friday, June 10th, 5:30-6:30 p.m.”

1. Clio Bluestocking on 13 May 2011 at 7:06 am #

I feel so cool! I can’t wait!

2. Nicolec on 13 May 2011 at 7:27 am #

I so wish I could spend time with such an intelligent, fun, and whitty group of women…enjoy!

3. Bardiac on 13 May 2011 at 7:28 am #

Makes me wish I were a historian!

Have fun!

4. tanya on 13 May 2011 at 7:30 am #

Excellent! This is my first time to the Berks and I’m excited to finally be attending.

5. Amy on 13 May 2011 at 7:41 am #

Sounds great but I probably will not be able to be there because I will be at the poster session, 4-6 p.m,11th Floor, Campus Center. I will be presenting “Dames, Dishes, and Degrees: The Wives of North Carolina State University.” I hope to see you all there.

6. Historiann on 13 May 2011 at 8:03 am #

Amy–try to stop by to say “hi.” It was nice meeting you at the Little Berks last year.

Tanya–I’m really glad you’ll be there–be sure to introduce yourself to us all. And Clio B.–you don’t just feel cool, you ARE cool, girl!

Nicolec–you’ll have to make it out for the 2014 Berks for sure.

7. Nikki on 13 May 2011 at 8:43 am #

My panel was rejected. :-( But that won’t stop me form trying again in 2014.

8. Feminist Avatar on 13 May 2011 at 9:22 am #

I am so jealous. I wanted to go to Berks this year, but I couldn’t get the funding. Maybe 2014?

9. Cliotropic on 13 May 2011 at 9:47 am #

Thanks for organizing this; I’m looking forward to attending. (Though I’ve fallen off in the blogging lately- a casualty of the dissertation, of course.)

10. Belle on 13 May 2011 at 11:44 am #

I’m going for the first time, so I’ll definitely try and find y’all. How would one recognize you? You will be wearing your cowgirl hat? Lassoing passersby? Red cowgirl boots?

11. Susan on 13 May 2011 at 11:48 am #

Sorry I’ll be missing it –like Nikki, my panel was rejected, so I’ll be across the pond doing research!

12. Comrade PhysioProf on 13 May 2011 at 12:41 pm #

I’ve never hung out with a bunch of drunken historian bloggers. Sounds like fun!

13. Historiann on 13 May 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Belle, I aim to please, so I’ll be wearing my cowgirl boots. (I am almost entirely sure that no one in Western Mass. will be wearing cowgirl boots in mid-June.)

Y’know, it’s really pretty easy to play cowgirl. Everyone’s expectations are so low!

14. Liz2 on 13 May 2011 at 3:47 pm #

I’ll try to stop by and say “hi”. Looking forward, as ever, to the Berks. I’ll keep my eyes out for the cowgirl boots.

15. Digger on 13 May 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Wish I could be there; I gave some serious consideration to crashing the conference… 2014, well, I might even have something to say…. Have fun, y’all!

16. Historiann on 14 May 2011 at 1:40 pm #

It will be great to meet you finally, Liz2. I heard fab things about you from an old grad school pal who’s a mutual friend.

Digger–it’s amazing how quickly 3 years will go by, especially if you’re in grad school!

And CPP: why not come on up and join us? There are worse places to be in the summer than Western Mass.

17. Indyanna on 14 May 2011 at 4:55 pm #

I would surely like to join this meet-up, but I’d estimate the chances are fairly remote at this point. I have a vision of a mid-June research trajectory from lower-upper New England down through the Hudson Valley, with two adjoining conference weekends as anchors. But just thinking about it sounds expensive, and we’ll have to see what the budget sensitivities look like at that point. If not there, though, I’ll certainly look forward to reading the blog version!!

18. Kelly on 15 May 2011 at 8:28 am #

Historiann, I am looking forward to it. Like Amy, I will be presenting in the poster session (Prairie Dresses, Braids, and Polygamist Fashion: Gendering Religious Intolerance) until 6, but I will come by to meet all my blogging heroes and get a drink.

19. Janice on 15 May 2011 at 10:09 am #

I’m so excited about all of this! Heck, maybe I will upgrade and restart my blog in honour of the occasion. Whatdya think?

20. Ruth on 15 May 2011 at 4:52 pm #

I always hear about blogger meetups but they usually don’t say readers are welcome! I won’t make it to the Berks in time for it, unfortunately, as I have to attend the significant milestone of a close family member earlier that day, but y’all come along to the Gender & History reception on Friday evening.

21. Historiann on 15 May 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Ruth & Indyanna–readers are very welcome at this meetup! I figure people might be curious about who we are in the meat world, but I’m also curious to meet up with some readers (whether lurkers or commenters.)

So after the meetup, they’ll no longer be curious. (Just disappointed!)

Janice & Kelly–I’m looking forward to meeting you in RL.

22. Janice on 16 May 2011 at 6:19 am #

I am so excited about meeting up with fellow bloggers – many of you for the first time!

By the way, Historiann, consider your post a helpful kick in the pants. I’m back online in my blog at http://jliedl.ca (just a minor change in the URL) as your post reminded me that I really needed to reclaim my blog voice and blog space!

23. Straight pride weekend, with a breast milk shooter : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 04 Jun 2011 at 2:15 pm #

[...] Later, friends! Don’t forget about next week’s big meetup at the Berks–click here for details! [...]

24. ADM on 04 Jun 2011 at 5:05 pm #

I will be there, too! Obvs.

25. Getting Ready for #BigBerks aka #Berks2011 « Knitting Clio on 08 Jun 2011 at 5:14 am #

[...] you want to meet other women’s historians who blog, come to the  meet-up organized by Historiann.  This will be held Friday afternoon from 5:30-6:30  in the Grad Lounge of the Lincoln Campus. If [...]

26. Off to the Berks! : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 09 Jun 2011 at 4:56 am #

[...] ignore me.)  Don’t forget about our meetup tomorrow afternoon after the last sessions ends, 5:30-6:30 at the Grad Lounge of the Lincoln Campus Center.  Apparently, TR will also be kicking it in cowgirl boots, but hers are a more city-appropriate [...]

27. Brian Ogilvie on 09 Jun 2011 at 7:40 pm #

As a faithful reader and fan, I’ll try to make it, even if I won’t have as many expletives as CPP!