May
6th 2013
Monday round-up: endless semester edition

Posted under: American history, art, bad language, book reviews, European history, Gender, Intersectionality, jobs, race, the body, wankers, women's history

You’ve heard of The Endless Summer?  It sure seems to me like this is the Endless Semester.  Maybe it’s all of the snow and slush in April, but more than any other spring semester in recent memory, this one drags on and on.  While I’m desperately trying to lasso this semester and tie it up real good, here are some fun links and ideas to keep you diverted:

Well, that should keep you busy.  Leave your complaints or suggestions for the management in the comments below. In the meantime, please enjoy this glimpse of The Endless Summer (1966). Ahhh–now, doesn’t that get you in the mood for summer?

17 Responses to “Monday round-up: endless semester edition”

1. Indyanna on 06 May 2013 at 9:40 am #

No joke, it IS the endless semester, Historiann. Here, anyway, where we’re going a week deeper into the spring because we started a week later, almost in February. So that our colleagues who chose to teach in the extended on-line “Winter” “Semester (sic)” could “get a little time off, too,” before the *actual* winter semester began. So that everyone could pay it back with a week in May for the committee-enforced week off in late January. Never did “in solidarity” seem more like a frozen slushball than during that dank gray week “off.”

2. Historiann on 06 May 2013 at 10:00 am #

Just put that Endless Summer video on Endless Loop. The music is so soooothing. . . .

3. Tenured Radical on 06 May 2013 at 12:16 pm #

It sure is the endless semester…thought it was just me on accounta because of sabbatical upcoming. But it feels like about week 22. Thinks for the linkage.

4. Tenured Radical on 06 May 2013 at 12:17 pm #

I meant *thanks*. Jesus Murphy Mother of God, let it all end.

5. Evan on 06 May 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Thanks Historiann for the linkage. I’m grateful for the mention.

In Australia, it really does seem to be an endless summer. People are complaining that its going to be 28 degrees celsius this week – let winter kick in!

6. undine on 06 May 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Thanks for the link, Historiann, and also for posting a little Endless Summer for the semester that will never end.

7. Janice on 06 May 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Here’s where I feel incredibly privileged and guilty for not only wrapping up my marking last week but having submitted my annual report and shepherded my thesis student through his M.A. defense already. Term’s over here: let the writing ramp back up to speed!

8. quixote on 06 May 2013 at 3:13 pm #

(Sheesh. And I’m upset because that Ventura County Springs Fire burned my two most convenient hiking spots. Shame. Deep shame.)

9. Historiann on 06 May 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Salon has an interesting article by Dillon Tatum on the sexualized discourse of defensive Austerians. Ze writes, “Statements like [Ferguson's], however, are indicative of a broader trend. Austerity, as a policy issue, is increasingly characterized by a sexual politics that aims to depoliticize and legitimate arguments for anti-interventionist economic policies. Not only does this carry with it enormous consequences for the practice of scholarly inquiry, it also makes for a poor science of political economy.”

10. Feminist Avatar on 06 May 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Absolutely no complaints here about it being 28 degrees this week in Australia. We’ve had some rain for the farmers and to replenish the drinking water, we can put off winter a little longer if you ask me.

11. koshembos on 06 May 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Summer is coming (a threat) and racism, sexism and stupitism are is the air. Right and left suck; the center is dead. After that a long semester is a relief.

12. koshembos on 06 May 2013 at 7:52 pm #

13. Susan on 07 May 2013 at 7:46 am #

As someone who UG the original Endless Summer poster on the ceiling above my (top bunk) bed at age 15, thank you. The orange went really well with the lavender ceiling, as you can imagine. (it was the 60s, and i had Peter Max sheets, too.) I had forgotten the beautiful male bodies!

I am so tired of meetings.

14. Historiann on 07 May 2013 at 8:49 am #

Not so many hardbodies in your meetings, Susan? (Alas!)

15. Nursing Clio on 07 May 2013 at 11:16 am #

Thanks for the shout out, Historiann. And you know the first link to the piece on The Young Ones makes me want to watch that whole series all over again. I watched it for the first time as a young teenager when it was rerunning on MTV. To think of all of the political jokes and subtle jabs that probably went right over my head!

16. Evan on 07 May 2013 at 9:58 pm #

Nursing Clio: Each time I watch TYO I find another bunch of gags that I hadn’t noticed before. I think when I watched it first as a 12 year old, there must have been so much I didn’t understand.

17. Evan on 10 May 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Just thought I’d mention that the next instalment in the posts on The Young Ones is up, looking at women and the issue of sexism amongst ‘alternative/progressive’ groups.