February
1st 2012
Yes we CANada!

Posted under: fluff, O Canada

But wait: there’s more!

It’s hose or be hosed, friends, so I’ll proudly vote Canada this year. It will only be a few more decades when global warming will make them our masters, anyway. All of that sweet, fresh, water and melting arctic ice. . . I say surrender now while it still seems kind of cool and not completely desperate.

12 Responses to “Yes we CANada!”

1. Profane on 01 Feb 2012 at 10:35 am #

Excellent – another option on how to spoil my ballot, although I think that Colbert-Stewart is still my first choice.

2. Canuck Down South on 01 Feb 2012 at 10:39 am #

Nice one! These pro-Canada sites always pop up around election years (though I’m eternally amused that none of those who claimed they’d move north if George W. Bush/George H. W. Bush etc. won the election have ever done so).

3. Notorious Ph.D. on 01 Feb 2012 at 11:00 am #

Love it!

4. truffula on 01 Feb 2012 at 11:54 am #

none of those who claimed they’d move north

I know somebody who did. Ze’d been thinking for some time that this is not a fit country in which to raise a child, got a degree that would make hir marketable in other countries just in case, and when the bombs started dropping, my friend and child got out.

5. Historiann on 01 Feb 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Fratguy was a dual citizen U.S. and Canada until he turned 18. But we learned recently at a border crossing in Quebec that his children are eligible for Canadian citizenship, and of course any spouses I presume can also become citizens through marriage. (I haven’t checked out this border guard’s story, but if it’s true it’s remarkable that descendents to the 2nd generation might be eligible for Canadian citizenship.)

But of course, what physicians want to do is the reverse: get the cheap Canadian medical education, and then move to the U.S. for the profit$$$.

So who knows where the world might take us? I’d have to change the name of the blog to HistoriCANn!

6. koshembos on 01 Feb 2012 at 12:37 pm #

USNA: United States of North American (Canadians always refer to North America and don’t mean Mexico.)

7. Frances Perkins on 01 Feb 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I’d say check out that citizenship duality — lots of myths about losing dual citizenship upon reaching 18. It’s a little more complicated than that (conditions of US citizenship passing to children of American women, for instance, once required that the mother have lived in the United States for five continuous years over the age of 18 before the birth of the child outside of the country in order for that child to “inherit” citizenship) but in some ways remarkably easy. I was over 30 when I went to the US Embassy in Toronto to fill out my citizenship application, which was essentially the process of getting an American passport. As far as the US was concerned, this Canadian was one of theirs and so I hied to the US. Was getting sick of Mulroney anyway.

8. Digger on 01 Feb 2012 at 1:26 pm #

It’s my understanding that you don’t lose Canadian citizenship unless and until you tell the Canadian Gov’t to “get stuffed, eh?” regardless of status elsewhere.

Also… I have a pair of those mittens that are dangling over the fireplace in scene the first. :D

9. Indyanna on 01 Feb 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Even Martin Frobisher could probably poke a ship through the Northwest Passage these days. I’ll vote for the merger if they realign the National Hockey League to reconstitute the old “Six Team League” of my youth, playing as one division, against Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and any three other franchises North of the border that they care to create. And then “de-spand” the rest of the league to get rid of the hideous anomaly of Sun Belt hockey.

10. Susan on 02 Feb 2012 at 8:32 am #

My father is a dual citizen. When he first moved to Canada, back in the early 70s, they were worried about the draft resisters. So even as a female, I was closely scrutinized every time I visited – maybe I was going to follow my boyfriend? Once I even got a two week Canadian visa stamped in my passport…

But I would vote for Canada. At least one of my parents is dealing with a relatively sane health care system.

11. Fratguy on 02 Feb 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Koshembos
    Fans of David Foster Wallace would refer to the alliance as the Organization of North American Nations (O.N.A.N)

12. Janice on 02 Feb 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Come for the universal health care, stay for the long, long winters. This time of year, my Canadian husband speaks longingly of taking advantage of my dual citizenship to move us all to someplace warm and dry in the States.