February
14th 2014
MSNBC makes a Valentine’s Day funny

Posted under: art, fluff, unhappy endings

I watched Hardball last night, and as usual those folks at MSNBC are on Chris Christie and his traffic-on-the-bridge scandal like a dog on a bone.  I noticed that the squib for the first segment, “More subpoenas, more questions,” was “Tainted Gov.”  Tainted gov?  I didn’t get it.  Is that a food poisoning joke or something?  Then I figured it out–I think it’s a reference to Soft Cell’s 1981 new wave remake of the classic:

HA-ha! Happy Valentine’s Day, and happy weekend!

10 Responses to “MSNBC makes a Valentine’s Day funny”

1. Indyanna on 14 Feb 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Happy to you, too, Historiann! The first time I crossed that bridge, westbound, *standing* on the shotgun seat of a Chevy long before they invented seat-belts (and long before the *pre*-make of that song) not ten miles into Jersey there was a farmer in his field milking a cow in the open spaces. Burma Shave signs. A Silk-City diner with formica counters and swivel-stools. Where did those towns come from, that could be disrupted by a few traffic cones and a few text messages?!?

2. truffula on 14 Feb 2014 at 5:23 pm #

That is a pretty good pun. It’s as close to a Daily Show headline as the “news” can get.

I like seeing an arrogant meanie taken down as much as the next gal but isn’t MSNBC covering this so much because it’s easy? It’s a “bad apple” story that doesn’t leave any lasting impression or lead to any lasting change. The gov rises, the gov falls, and the guys with all the money keep rolling along.

3. Historiann on 14 Feb 2014 at 5:30 pm #

Yes. MSNBC is overboard in their coverage. It’s almost like shades of 1998 again in their anticipation of Clinton’s impeachment. I don’t like Christie, but they need to stand down until there’s some real evidence of his wrongdoing.

(I think there will be; they need to STFU until there’s something real to report, not just crazy speculation.)

4. Indyanna on 14 Feb 2014 at 6:17 pm #

…Time for a little traffic trouble at MSNBC…

5. sophylou on 14 Feb 2014 at 6:56 pm #

BYONK YONK.

(I realize that brings the tone of this discussion down, but it had to be said…)

6. Historiann on 15 Feb 2014 at 8:11 am #

As in “sometimes I feel I’ve got to BYONK YONK get away. . . ?”

Or am I missing a new Urban Dictionary concept here?

7. Dr. Koshary on 15 Feb 2014 at 10:49 am #

Historiann’s interpretation of BYONK YONK just made my day, and made me recognize the dearth of New Wave onomatopoeia in my life. Sophylou, please tell us that this is what you meant, too!

8. Indyanna on 15 Feb 2014 at 11:48 am #

That is a nice video clip, and I don’t say that as a chronic liker of first-generation MTV music videos, which were really awful for the most part. The makers of the music (or their technical staffs) were pretty bad conceptualizers of performed visual fantasy coming off of the lyrics. I did miss in this clip the coda/cover from the Supremes “Where Did Our Love Go,” which was a nice chaser, and really solidified the whole song.

9. sophylou on 15 Feb 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Yep, I meant that unmistakable “this is ‘Tainted Love’” sound. (80s teen here). Wasn’t sure how to spell it. (Just as I’m not sure what the accepted spelling is for the Law and Order sound…)

10. sophylou on 15 Feb 2014 at 5:07 pm #

(“Don’t touch him, baby, TAINTED GOV!”)