September
13th 2013
Every class, David! We’ll be there!

Posted under: American history, bad language, students, unhappy endings

To paraphrase General William T. Sherman:  teaching is hell.

Forgive me but–bwa-hahahahahaha!–I’m sure it’s very, very difficult to be called “David” instead of “General Petraeus.” (Nice move, though, walking in front of the city bus to try to lose your tormentors!) And to think: you’re doing it all for a single, lousy greenback instead of the $200,000 paycheck you signed up for.

8 Responses to “Every class, David! We’ll be there!”

1. delagar on 15 Sep 2013 at 10:40 am #

I like how he’s acting like he’s ignoring them but he’s really just SO MAD. What can a General do with people he can’t punish or threaten or shoot? Must be infuriating.

2. Historiann on 15 Sep 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I know, right? That’s what I think is so hilarious, too.

I’m not particularly sympathetic to their calling him a “war criminal,” a charge that seems way overblown. His civilian masters bear more responsibility than he does, as they’re the ones who gave him his marching orders. However, I’m glad the students got up in his face, because it’s ridiculous that 1) he was hired as a celebutante teacher for such a lavish price, when 2) he’s never indicated any interest in higher ed before.

Universities should not make themselves available to help fallen idols rehabilitate their reputations. They only make themselves look desperate and cheapen the work that real professors do.

3. delagar on 16 Sep 2013 at 10:16 am #

Yes, it was the ridiculous adjunct pay that annoyed me as well, especially for someone who was not actually a professor.

Do I understand from your post that he returned the offensively high paycheck?

4. delagar on 16 Sep 2013 at 10:17 am #

Ha, yes, you have a link RIGHT THERE that I could have followed. :)

5. delagar on 22 Sep 2013 at 11:46 am #

You saw this, yes?

6. Historiann on 22 Sep 2013 at 3:03 pm #

No, I hadn’t–thanks for the update.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. The notion that the protesters were trespassing on CUNY’s traditions of academic liberty is completely baked. No one disrupted his classes–they’re going on just fine. They’re just hollering at him when he walks on a public street & protesting his presence, not preventing him from “teaching.”

7. delagar on 23 Sep 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Yep. The students’ own university having them arrested and beaten for exercising their right to speak — not a very enlightened act.

8. girls crossbow hunting on 20 Nov 2013 at 3:33 am #

Hey are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog
    world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any
    coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!