April
28th 2013
Cowboy crooner Johnny Bond: “Oklahoma Hills”

Posted under: American history, art

8 Responses to “Cowboy crooner Johnny Bond: “Oklahoma Hills””

1. squadratomagico on 28 Apr 2013 at 11:00 am #

I used to have a Phil Ochs album with this on it. Brings me back!

2. Comradde PhysioProffe on 28 Apr 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Who the fucken fucke are those assholes standing behind him pretending to clap or snap their fingers!?!?!?!?

3. Historiann on 28 Apr 2013 at 1:41 pm #

They look like rhythmically challenged white people to me. It’s probably a good thing their clapping and snapping wasn’t included in the sound recording!

4. Indyanna on 28 Apr 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Yesterday’s _Times_ brought the seemingly-endless obituary of George Jones, together with a feature story in which Michael Buble took his backup singers down into the subway at Lincoln Center to fill a guitar case with tips and literally “build traffic” under a new album. It should be possible to bridge a blog comment between two pillars like that, but I feel as dry as a watering hole in late August. Oh, yeah: the caption said that Buble was wearing a “tuxedo,” but it looked like one of the skinny-tie concoctions I had to wear back in the ninth grade. What’s happening to sartorial vocabulary? And I liked that twin-necked guitar!

5. koshembos on 28 Apr 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Mystery for naturalized dudes.

6. Historiann on 28 Apr 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Excellent and appropriate use of the word “dude,” though, koshembos! (A “dude” in cowboy terms is an urban easterner who likes to come out west to play cowboy at a “dude ranch,” for example.)

Theodore Roosevelt was a dude. The historian Francis Parkman was a dude, too. Most of our movie and teevee cowboys qualified as dudes as well.

Indyanna, never fear: May is almost here!

7. Indyanna on 28 Apr 2013 at 10:03 pm #

I’m a dude too! The first time I crossed the Hudson River there was a farmer milking a cow–out in his field!!!, beside a two-lane highway, without any barn–and silver-sided formica diners, and Burma Shave signs, and I know not what else. I’ve been entranced with the west, in that faux-gothamite sort of way, ever since!

8. Shelley on 30 Apr 2013 at 8:35 am #

Being a Texas writer, I’m not entranced with the West, but I do enjoy the way country music makes you want to smile, almost against your will, even if the lyrics are sad. There’s an undertone of self-mocking humor only found elsewhere, maybe, in Cole Porter?