December
31st 2012
Toasting the New Year

Posted under: fluff, happy endings

I hope you are all staying nice and warm this New Year’s Eve.  I am on Eastern Standard Time, for a change, so I just might stay awake long enough to ring in the new year. . . in Nova Scotia, or maybe Newfoundland.  Anyway–stay warm and toasty, wherever you are, and have a happy new year.

My New Year’s Resolution?  I want to wear more practical, G-rated clothing.  What’s your resolution?

17 Responses to “Toasting the New Year”

1. undine on 31 Dec 2012 at 9:48 pm #

My resolution is to watch Historiann’s lecture (really!). Happy New Year!

2. Susan on 01 Jan 2013 at 12:34 am #

My resolution is to play more. (My clothing is already g-rated…)

3. Hugh on 01 Jan 2013 at 12:59 am #

Loved your lecture. So, my resolution is to read your book;I just ordered it.

4. koshembos on 01 Jan 2013 at 5:25 am #

Hope to spend more time with my grandkids on both coasts. Never understood the word resolution. You either work at it or you don’t.

5. Comradde PhysioProffe on 01 Jan 2013 at 7:45 am #

You are implying that your usual clothing is impractical and salacious?

6. Historiann on 01 Jan 2013 at 9:29 am #

No, I am making a joke of using Gil Elvgren pinups to illustrate my posts. (You can see my typical daywear in the video at C-SPAN.)

7. Indyanna on 01 Jan 2013 at 1:49 pm #

It finally made it (the year, that is). Happy New Year, Historiann, and everyone! We could actually use a little more snow in these parts, if there’s any extra in Cheresonesus or Metropotamia. (Any more than a flake would be a little more; send it this way!). Resolutions are running a little late again this year too–any chance for an ex-tension? I heard the lecture, but to *see* it, I’ll have to patch in via another platform.

8. Comradde PhysioProffe on 01 Jan 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Hahahahahahah! That makes a lot more sense!!!!!

9. truffula on 01 Jan 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Happy New Year! One child and I made it up to midnight so we went outside and blew something called an “elephant horn.” It sounds unwell but is loud. (The children who live here have managed to stop blowing it just in the nick of time every time a parent as been this close to confiscating the thing.) After that we discussed the difference between luck and practice/work and drifted off to sleep.

10. Tenured Radical on 02 Jan 2013 at 6:03 am #

Spend more time cooking up feminazi leftist plottes with Historiann!!!!

11. jackyt on 02 Jan 2013 at 12:41 pm #

I’ve declared 2013 the Baker’s Dozen Year, marked by generosity of spirit. I’m only going to give my eyeballs/attention to people and blogs that exhibit a propensity for same, and will not support, in any way, the mean-spirited ones who build themselves up by tearing others down. Anyone who thinks a valid argument is “you’re stupid” is definitely off the list!
    Wishing you all good health, good challenges and good times, the whole year through!

12. Indyanna on 02 Jan 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Mmm, Mmm–MMMhhh!!! Those cookies are GOOD!!! !!

13. Matt_L on 02 Jan 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Happy (belated) 2013 Historiann and Co! We celebrated by making samosas on New Years Eve and then deep frying everything we can get our hands on before the peanut oil gives up. (Tonight… Apple Fritters!)

I wish everyone good health and happiness in the year to come!

and I resolve to go to the AHA in 2014.

14. Historiann on 03 Jan 2013 at 4:56 am #

Matt: shockingly, I might just be at AHA in 2014 on a panel that Jonathan Rees is cooking up!

(I can’t remember the last AHA I attended. I believe it was in the service of interviewing job candidates. 2003 in Chicago?)

And jackyt: I like your notion of the Baker’s Dozen year. Why not be generous? It beats the alternative, and it’s usually the right thing to do, although I will admit that it’s not *always* my first impulse. . .

15. Perpetua on 03 Jan 2013 at 8:21 am #

I’m at the AHA right now. Three years running. Why, God, why. I won’t do it again except under duress. At least I can drown my sorrows in beignets.

16. cgeye on 03 Jan 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Sad news:

17. A conversation with Chauncey DeVega about guns, masculinity, and the white violent crime epidemic; Gerda Lerner’s life and death; and why I’m okay with skipping the AHA (again!) : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 03 Jan 2013 at 9:29 pm #

[...] news:  Gerda Lerner, the pathbreaking women’s historian, died yesterday at age 92 (h/t to cgeye on the blog and Indyanna via a private e-mail for tipping me off.)  I for one am glad that her connection to [...]