December
24th 2012
Cake! Because Christmas.

Posted under: European history, fluff, happy endings

Susan’s orange-scented fruitcake

Can you believe it? Susan actually sent me a cake! It’s her orange-scented fruitcake, and we are having a hard time keeping it whole until tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to those of you who keep the feast; to those of you who don’t, enjoy the short lines at the movies today! Although I am by faith a profane scoffer, I enjoy a little choral music at Christmas time, old-school style. 1441 style, that is: it helps me get in the mood to cook a turkey and toast some walnuts. Here’s the King’s College choir singing The Holly and the Ivy.

And to all a good night.

6 Responses to “Cake! Because Christmas.”

1. koshembos on 24 Dec 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Merry Christmas to all. Our celebration: a movie (no line for us, Internet tickets) and a restaurant. The Chinese restaurants are overflowing with no believers and other secs. May be Indian or Egyptian?

We, and the wise lady, attended a formal dinner at King’s College participating in an “important” conference at the bridge over the Cam. Very bombastic small talk and arrogance was running above the expected floodline.

Also, happy new year to all.

2. Comradde PhysioProffe on 24 Dec 2012 at 9:25 pm #

Cake can go fucken fucke itself!!! FUCKEN CAKE!!!

3. Tenured Radical on 25 Dec 2012 at 11:50 am #

That is impressive. I used to live in the same town as Susan and she never made me no stinkin’ cake.

4. Susan on 25 Dec 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Sorry, TR. That was when all my cake got eaten locally, so I wasn’t mailing it around. And it’s all the fault of H’ann’s discussion of baking & fruitcakes a few weeks ago.

5. Notorious Ph.D. on 25 Dec 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Will Susan bring a slice to NOLA for me?

6. Matt_L on 27 Dec 2012 at 11:37 am #

Well Historiann,

I know you are busy, but will you be willing to give us tasting notes on Susan’s cake? Please? Pretty Please with sprinkles on top? It looks delicious!