December
19th 2012
Happy holiday post, with cookies.

Posted under: fluff, happy endings

11 Responses to “Happy holiday post, with cookies.”

1. Perpetua on 19 Dec 2012 at 6:28 am #

I once made those wreath-cookies (corn flakes, yes?) with my grandmother during one of the only Christmases I spent with her in my childhood. What a happy memory.

This year I eschewed cookie making in favor of candy making. I have a candy thermometer now and I’m not afraid to use it.

2. nicoleandmaggie on 19 Dec 2012 at 7:05 am #

oh nooooo!

3. Historiann on 19 Dec 2012 at 8:16 am #

Heh. He does look like Mr. Bill, doesn’t he?

And Perpetua: yes, it’s corn flakes. The easiest, most fun, and almost the tastiest cookie around, plus RED HOTS: 1 stick butter, 1 bag marshmallows, squeeze of green food coloring, 1 t vanilla, 4 C corn flakes, and red hots to taste. Easy squeezy!

Just make sure to enforce hand washing among child chefs before, during, and after the cookie shaping. Little fingers go right into the mouth without thinking.

4. Contingent Cassandra on 19 Dec 2012 at 8:51 am #

Looks like you’re making good use of the break (and like you have some quite artistic helpers). Thanks for the holiday cheer!

5. Indyanna on 19 Dec 2012 at 2:39 pm #

We definitely needed some of this!

Wassail!!

6. Susan on 19 Dec 2012 at 6:31 pm #

I baked chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies for my students — not very Christmas-y, but good. I’m not doing my usual crescents this year. But I did make an awesome pecan brittle: basically pecan pie without the crust.

But I think I’m coming over to your place, as the selection looks awesome!

7. koshembos on 19 Dec 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Don’t laugh, I also used to bake for my doctoral students for our weekly let’s mix it up meeting. Bought cookies turned out to be easier to sustain.

8. Historiann on 20 Dec 2012 at 7:05 am #

Susan: you are welcome, any time! Pecan brittle sounds pretty terrific. Fratguy has decided not to eat wheat any more, so candy sounds like something he should try if he wants to have holiday sweets.

9. Indyanna on 20 Dec 2012 at 10:22 am #

I’m not going to eat anything *except* wheat anymore (overwhelmingly in the form of pasta products), so since I’ve largely moved on from candy, maybe we could set up a candy-for-semolina exchange program? They grow some pretty good stuff out there on the western plains, I’ve always heard.

10. Comradde PhysioProffe on 21 Dec 2012 at 8:01 am #

You and FratGuy look pretty fucken good as cookies. I assume he really does wear red shorts and red suspenders on the wards! HAHAHAHAHAH!

11. Historiann on 21 Dec 2012 at 10:23 am #

*Green* wool army surplus pants from the Korean Conflict era, with red suspenders, actually. (He also used to ski in these until about 5 or 6 years ago.)

He also has to wear a shirt, because otherwise the chest and back hair would terrify the children.