August
24th 2012
GOTADNC!

Posted under: fluff, local news

Leaving campus today, I walked by a car with a Colorado license plate that read “GOTADNC.”  I thought to myself:  someone is advertising that she had an abortion (D & C)?  That’s pretty bold!  Or maybe the car belongs to a gynecologist, even though that doesn’t really make sense?  (As in:  “I just gotta do me some D & Cs!)  Or maybe it belongs to a local Dem pol who’s on her way to the Democratic National Convention?  (Get it?  GO TA DNC?  You betcha!)

So I e-mailed a colleague about this, and she pointed out that it probably means “gotta dance.”  This seems a lot less interesting, but a lot more plausible, than anything I could come up with.  (Can you guess that I’m pretty crappy at crosswords and other puzzles?)

And it all made me laugh, because remember the “ASSMAN” episode on Seinfeld from the last century?  And I need some laughs, so do your worst in the comments.

12 Responses to “GOTADNC!”

1. squadratomagico on 24 Aug 2012 at 10:58 pm #

I saw a Hummer once with the license plate, “God Tank.”

2. Another Damned Medievalist on 25 Aug 2012 at 7:02 am #

Well… some (most?) Virginia licence plates have the state abbreviation on the left side, before the letters/numbers. I really hope that it’s GINAS car — and yet, I sort of hope it was intentional.

When I was a kid, and they still made Datsuns, we saw one with a plate that read “ICECAR”

I immediately read GOTADNC as Gotta Dance. But then I hang out with the performing arts people :-)

3. Historiann on 25 Aug 2012 at 7:28 am #

. . . whereas I hang out with physicians and environmental and women’s historians! (And I also probably spend too much time thinking about/maintaining my body.)

I’m sure it’s GINAS car. (What else could it possibly be?)

4. Profane on 25 Aug 2012 at 9:24 am #

My MH PROF is frequently mistaken for Mental Health Professional. . .

5. Historiann on 25 Aug 2012 at 9:34 am #

What does “MH” stand for? Medieval History? (I thought you were an early modernist.)

6. Indyanna on 25 Aug 2012 at 11:04 am #

I think what you’ve got here is a compulsively-honest parent who’s tired of reading those ubiquitous “my kid is an honor student at…” bumper stickers and even the “my punksta could beat up your honor student” retorts and is simply acknowledging to the world that ze has “Got A Dunce” back at home, but at least a well adjusted lovable one.

7. Another Damned Medievalist on 25 Aug 2012 at 1:49 pm #

It could be a rousing statement of approval for female genitalia — which is how I read it (too much Eve Ensler, methinks!)

8. Profane on 25 Aug 2012 at 4:36 pm #

It is indeed Medieval History – I am one of those strange beings that is an early medievalist 8-P.

9. Another Damned Medievalist on 25 Aug 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Not that strange in my world, Profane!

10. Notorious Ph.D. on 25 Aug 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Or, to contradict ADM: Strange, but in a way we understand.

11. Dr. Virago on 27 Aug 2012 at 7:20 am #

I thought about getting LITCHICK (“chick” for the assonance, mostly) until a friend said it sounded like I was a chick who was always lit, as in high.

12. anonymous on 27 Aug 2012 at 4:32 pm #

My first reading was that s/he is obviously rooting for Tad in North Carolina (to do WHAT? what is Tad DOING?)

Not even a joke: local weather guy drives a convertible with vanity tag 0PRECIP