August
7th 2012
Gone fishin’.

Posted under: fluff, happy endings, local news

Mama needs a break, kids.

I’ve been fortunate enough to visit several of our major National Parks and Monuments this summer– Arches National Park Escalante National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, Mesa Verde, and now Yellowstone.  (Touring these parks is kind of an expansive version of a staycation for us westerners.)

I wonder what kind of charismatic megafauna we’ll see–moose?  A bear?  A cougar?  I haven’t seen a cougar up close and personal since I almost stepped on one’s tail in Strathcona Provincial Park in British Columbia in 1997.  It was the one time in my life when I was left literally speechless, and could only gesture to the giant tail and the terrific haunches to which it was attached.  I can probably live happily without coming that close to a cougar ever again.

Last fall, I was at Canyonlands, and my local National Park too.  I think that’s something of a national parks and monuments personal best. If we hit Grand Teton this week, that will make 8 national parks or monuments in 10 months.  That all-parks pass will turn out to have been quite the bargain!

While I’m hobnobbing with the Geyser Gazers and the cast-’n-blast crowd up in the northern Rockies, you behave yourselves and enjoy the rest of your summers.  (I hope that few of you are like me, and face your first classes on August 20!  That’s practically five whole weeks  of the “fall” semester before it’s actually autumn.)

12 Responses to “Gone fishin’.”

1. takingitoutside on 07 Aug 2012 at 10:55 pm #

My parents took my brother and I to see Arches and Mesa Verde in high school. It was fantastic. I hope you’ve had as wonderful a time as I did.

2. koshembos on 07 Aug 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Have a great time.

3. Susan on 08 Aug 2012 at 8:00 am #

Safe travels! And stay away from the cougars…

4. squadratomagico on 08 Aug 2012 at 10:59 am #

Please do mot tread on the wildlife, Historiann!

Have a great time! I’m gearing up to leave for a month, starting in two weeks. Our classes don’t begin until late September, so it’s mid- break for me! Remember, though, that I don’t finish until mid-June.

5. Indyanna on 08 Aug 2012 at 11:19 am #

Yeah, stay offa those big cats, Historiann! If you get as far as Glacier and spike your pass in the endzone up there it’ll look like you’re running up the numbers on us poor shlubs who have to make do with National Historic Sites back here in the nubby Appalachian roots! :)

August 20 is an ouch. I wouldn’t amend the Constitution lightly, but if we could clear a little space between One and Three, say, I could go for language restoring the sanctity of the traditional academical summer. Didn’t “Commencement” used to *start* the school year along about mid-September, when rural farm parents were releasing their most-bookish and least plow-worthy offspring to head off to some riotous shire town and become “scholars?”

6. Northern Barbarian on 08 Aug 2012 at 1:48 pm #

It’s gorgeous out there! We just took a supported bike tour down the Hudson Valley, seeing glorious countryside and lots of historical sites. I thought that climbing steep hills in hot, humid air was (if nothing else) a great way to forget about my job for a while, but it doesn’t beat nearly stepping on a cougar! Have fun!

7. Contingent Cassandra on 08 Aug 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Based on experience of the sounds that result when one accidentally steps on a domestic cat’s tail, I’d say that staying off cougars’ tails is definitely a good idea.

Have a good last bit of vacation. I’ve got another week than you do, and the semester still feels like it’s coming too fast.

8. Janice on 08 Aug 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Enjoy your last gasp of summer holidays! We don’t need to go to a park to see a bear since they’re pretty much everywhere around here (a bit more visible than I’d like thanks to the persistent drought). But cougars? Those’d be worth eyeballing.

Whatever you do, rest up and have a wonderful time!

9. NursingClio on 09 Aug 2012 at 8:24 am #

You might want to read this before you leave :)

10. cgeye on 13 Aug 2012 at 9:01 am #

Dr. H., please to be perusing this Doonesbury series of the private institution going public — it starts with this strip:

11. Historiann on 15 Aug 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks, cgeye–that’s priceless. I think Garry Trudeau does more with 4 panels a day (1 of which is a rehash of the previous day’s point, for the benefit of his audience who may have missed a day or more) than most writers (or bloggers, to be sure) accomplish in 800, 1,200, or 120,000 words.

Nursing Clio: who, I wonder, approved that paper for publication? Yick. We saw mostly women rangers as interpretive guides and information sources, even at high-status sites like Old Faithful. The male rangers I saw were mostly patrolling or managing traffic around a bear sighting, for example (and he didn’t ask if I was on the rag.) Maybe it was a fluke, but I was glad to see the mix of rangers at work.

12. Yellowstone: le safari de l’Amerique du Nord : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 15 Aug 2012 at 10:32 pm #

[...] our Yellowstone adventure, every day was full of marvels and wonders we don’t get to see or experience in our everyday [...]