June
30th 2012
What’s on your grill this weekend?

Posted under: book reviews, fluff, local news

I have a few ideas for you.

14 Responses to “What’s on your grill this weekend?”

1. Indyanna on 30 Jun 2012 at 8:31 am #

The “science ‘around’ meat…” [internal quotation marks added]. “Around is such a weird word in this context, especially when you look straight at it. Does this mean that there’s a charred black hole of ignorance at the center of the inquiry itself? Or that science has gotten shy, or bashful, or tongue-tied in the presence of this venerable protein, and now edges sidelingly around the subject? Or that meat “teams” are now beginning to acknowledge that there *is* no fixed subject; that meat is at best a metaphor?

Whatever else it means, it seems clear that the good old days when you could sidle up to a bright-eyed kid at a graduation party and ironically mutter “plastics” are soooo over! Probably just as well.

2. koshembos on 30 Jun 2012 at 3:28 pm #

With one million people in the DC area lost power yesterday around 11PM, the answer is obvious: we are the meet on the grill.

3. Western Dave on 30 Jun 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Tonight was burgers. Tomorrow morning while it’s still cool, I’m grilling a london broil to make steak salad to take to the pool.

4. Comradde PhysioProffe on 01 Jul 2012 at 10:52 am #

I didn’t grill anything, but I did make shrimp tacos:

5. Historiann on 01 Jul 2012 at 11:08 am #

Those shrimp tacos look amazing. I think I could do a hot weather variation (so as not to heat up the kitchen) by just turning my gas grill into an alternative stovetop for the garlic/chile/shrimp mixture. Thanks for the recipe!

I’m sorry to hear about the power outage amidst the eastern heatwave. I would imagine that salads and cold soups might be a preferable alternative to smoked, BBQ’d, or grilled meats or veggies.

Tonight, I believe that GayProf is making reservations for us, for dinner.

6. truffula on 01 Jul 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Where I grew up, outdoor grilling was the only way to cook in the summer time (not that most of the white folks around us did so). We had a solar oven too. Anything to keep the AC off was my mother’s priority.

7. Susan on 01 Jul 2012 at 7:34 pm #

CPP is hereby invited for dinner. Those shrimp tacos look amazing. The jalapenos are ripening in the garden….

May be grilling fresh salmon (the season has started) for friends tomorrow night.

8. Jessica Weiss on 01 Jul 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Piri-piri chicken here.

9. Fratguy on 02 Jul 2012 at 11:18 am #

Perhaps the president of BaRamU should consider building on demostrated success and construct a world class competition BQQ arena in lieu of a new football stadium. Utilization could be year round, BBQ wafting over the campus would be a far better recruitment tool than trafic jams, and just think what graduating the next generation of super chefs would do for donation and alumni relations. Who knows, in 15 years the campus would be hosting the foothills equivalent of the aspen Food and Wine fest.

10. Historiann on 02 Jul 2012 at 12:04 pm #

A-S-P-I-N!!!

11. Indyanna on 02 Jul 2012 at 1:29 pm #

With Sky Boxes for booster club members, and maxed-out Weber Grills, plus preferred landing and hangering rights at nearby BRU-International Airport, right?

12. Comradde PhysioProffe on 02 Jul 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Avocado and Cilantro Risotto:

I had beautiful avocado and clilantro left over from the shrimp tacos, and this is what I came upppe with.

13. Sylver Blaque on 02 Jul 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Shrimp & scallop skewers w/ green onion & sea salt…mmmm!

14. Susan on 06 Jul 2012 at 5:54 pm #

I think Historiann ought to have a meeting for her readers to come and cook together!