June
27th 2012
Nora Ephron, 1941-2012

Posted under: American history, art, unhappy endings, women's history

Now I will really miss her.

From the New York Times obit:

The producer Scott Rudin recalled that less than two weeks before her death, he had a long phone session with her from the hospital while she was undergoing treatment, going over notes for a pilot she was writing for a TV series about a bank compliance officer. Afterward she told him, “If I could just get a hairdresser in here, we could have a meeting.”

Ms. Ephron’s collection “I Remember Nothing” concludes with two lists, one of things she says she won’t miss and one of things she will. Among the “won’t miss” items are dry skin, Clarence Thomas, the sound of the vacuum cleaner, and panels on “Women in Film.” The other list, of the things she will miss, begins with “my kids” and “Nick” and ends this way:

“Taking a bath

Coming over the bridge to Manhattan

Pie.”

8 Responses to “Nora Ephron, 1941-2012”

1. koshembos on 27 Jun 2012 at 5:58 am #

Sometimes the simple, the corny and the obvious are actually the very best there is. We will miss her.

2. GlassPen on 27 Jun 2012 at 6:03 am #

Fine writer, great lady. RIP, Nora.

3. Notorious Ph.D. on 27 Jun 2012 at 9:34 am #

Pie.

A woman after my own heart.

4. Historiann on 27 Jun 2012 at 9:39 am #

Notorious: that part of the quotation was chosen especially for you, because I thought you would enjoy that!

(Not that it looks like you’re eating a lot of pie these days, to be sure.)

5. Janice on 27 Jun 2012 at 12:15 pm #

*sniff*

Oh, yes. We really will miss her, now.

6. Indyanna on 27 Jun 2012 at 9:03 pm #

I still remember reading _Crazy Salad_ in the crazed salad days of grad school in the ’70s, and not because it was on anybody’s comps list either. I never much got into the movie part, though. Even when I went to them–usually at the behest of friends–I didn’t really know who was *in* them, much less who was *behind* them. That said, maybe I should try a screenplay, or at least a treatment. Take a meeting or two. See what happens.

7. Northern Barbarian on 28 Jun 2012 at 10:28 am #

I read and re-read “Crazy Salad” as an early adolescent, and have followed Ephron’s writing since (not so much her movies). Her words had a formative effect on my thinking and writing that I couldn’t begin to articulate. What a loss!

8. Caturday Heroines « Sky Dancing on 30 Jun 2012 at 5:56 am #

[...] Historiann on Nora Ephron…. I highly recommend clicking on the first link in her post, which I’ve linked here too for your convenience: Now I will really miss her. [...]