June
15th 2012
Warm days, cool nights, and jacaranda trees

Posted under: American history, conferences, fluff

Every time I visit the Huntington Library and Gardens–which has always been in May and June–the beautiful show of blossoms continues into the streets of Pasadena. Lucky me!

At a conference this weekend, actually talking to people F2F rather than on blogs and over e-mail. Remarkable! (I need to get out of town more often.)

11 Responses to “Warm days, cool nights, and jacaranda trees”

1. koshembos on 15 Jun 2012 at 8:32 am #

Southern California is my adopted homeland. It has landscape variety very few places enjoy: beaches, valleys, mountains, deserts and endless suburbs. Pasadena has beautiful boulevards, a good art museum, the Huntington Library next door and the Green brothers early 20th century architecture. It also has Cal Tech one of the best schools in the country. And more.

Enjoy while you can and try to take in a concert with Dudamel next door.

2. truffula on 15 Jun 2012 at 9:44 am #

The last time I was at Caltech, I got into a conversation over dinner about air quality. A professor in the natural sciences happily told me about moving his family away from campus, up and out of the smog. He lamented having to drive, but it was just what he had to do for the health of his children. (That is, he pollutes other people’s children’s air in order to protect his own.) I’m sure it is just bad luck but this vignette adequately describes my experiences of the place.

3. Indyanna on 15 Jun 2012 at 10:40 am #

When I went out there (back in the last century) it was from c. April 10 until c. July 10, and May was beyond wonderful. A friend from the O.C. told me all about “June Gloom,” and I was like, yeah, right, whatever. Until June hit. I lived in central Pasadena and actually deliberately *walked* over to the Huntington five days a week, drawing a lot of silent scrutiny I’m sure. My bare arms were always freezing on the morning walk, but after a half-day in the Library– which I was figuratively spending in 18th Century England, with its “damps” and consumptives– I’d walk out for lunch and the gray mist was burned off and the San Gabriels were shimmering on the horizon. It always seemed miraculous to me. The walk back into town was much nicer. Wish I was out there now! Have a *great* conference, and do report to us leftbehinds!!

4. Janice on 15 Jun 2012 at 11:39 am #

My doctoral supervisor said that when researchers die and go to heaven, they find themselves back at the Huntington. I have to agree with his assessment: hope you’re enjoying a blissful time there!

5. Comradde PhysioProffe on 15 Jun 2012 at 11:45 am #

Awesome fucken restaurants in Pasadena!

6. Sisyphus on 15 Jun 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Ohhhhhh, I *miss* the jacaranda trees in bloom!

Don’t miss the June gloom, though, that’s for sure.

7. Notorious Ph.D. on 15 Jun 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Looking forward to the Great Convergence this weekend!

And while you’re in California: take time to stop and smell the jasmine.

8. Historiann on 15 Jun 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Yes, Notorious!

This will be the highlight of the year for me. And I am not at all being ironic.

9. Code Blue at Ferule and Fescue! : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 16 Jun 2012 at 8:10 am #

[...] as you know I’m conferencing this weekend, but I’m wondering if some of you can offer some helpful advice and assistance to our friend [...]

10. squadratomagico on 16 Jun 2012 at 9:03 am #

The countdown begins!

11. Kristen on 27 Jun 2012 at 1:50 pm #

So nice to see you at the Omohundro conference! Any ideas you have for a “historians and microhistory” festival, let me know!