December
17th 2011
I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

Posted under: American history, art, fluff, unhappy endings

The Violent Femmes, from sometime in the 80s, judging by the cut of the trousers, the wife-beater tees, and the style of Gordon Gano’s dress.

13 Responses to “I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record”

1. koshembos on 17 Dec 2011 at 1:18 pm #

It scares me to think about the piles of mediocre music that will survive for generations with the new technology. Old paintings, drawing and even sculptures somehow disappear and the better ones, we hope, survive. Where Music Darwin?

(Found a Gano/Cale song, but it is Cale style.)

2. Comrade PhysioProf on 17 Dec 2011 at 1:59 pm #

MEDIOCRE!?!?!?!? Have you lost your fucken mind?? VFs are one of the most brilliant bands of all time.

3. Notorious Ph.D. on 17 Dec 2011 at 2:27 pm #

I’m with Koshembos — VFs were a central part of my adolescence.

4. truffula on 17 Dec 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I’m with CPP. Jittery, not really okay, the VFs–and a few others like Camper van Beethoven–spun punk together with folk and blues to create something new and home grown. Different issues, those two bands, but they were doing something new.

Nelson Mandela was in prison, Ronald Reagan was talking about shooting down enemy missiles in space, the US was training proxy thugs at the School of the Americas. Other than Jesse Jackson doing well in some primaries, I don’t remember thinking that much was going right in the world back then. I did eventually learn that people could effect change, Mandela did get out of prison.

5. Western Dave on 17 Dec 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Gano is the lead singer. Brian Ritchie is in the dress. VF was the soundtrack to the college years. I think they played the tri-colleges a number of times during those years.

6. Historiann on 17 Dec 2011 at 9:17 pm #

Sorry about that–I always thought it was Gano in the dress.

Violent Femmes is very 1985 to me. I wouldn’t call it mediocre–it’s perhaps not to everyone’s taste although I take koshem bos’s point. I think that Western Dave, truffula, CPP, Notorious, and I are all about the same age, and there’s a sentimental attachment to the music of our youth that’s probably not grokkable by those who were either too young or too old to get into it at the time.

7. Comrade PhysioProf on 17 Dec 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Bullshitte. VFs are objectively one of the most brilliant bands of all time.

8. Notorious Ph.D. on 17 Dec 2011 at 11:02 pm #

(Sorry — my comment should have put me with CFP. I plead grading-brain.)

9. Notorious Ph.D. on 17 Dec 2011 at 11:03 pm #

CPP. Shit. I should just quit while I’m behind.

10. Historiann on 18 Dec 2011 at 9:27 am #

They were good–but I don’t think they were all that.

11. Alice Molloy on 18 Dec 2011 at 12:27 pm #

o heck, they’re guys. who cares.

12. cgeye on 21 Dec 2011 at 11:11 am #

to continue the perpetual conversation:

“A strike against those arguing for the benefits of successful college football programs, college male’s grades tend to go down when their university’s football team wins games, new research finds. And it happens as a direct result of the boozy culture surrounding football programs. More victories means more celebrating which means less studying. As big college sports programs face scrutiny for all the money thrown at them in light of other university budget cuts, the research doesn’t bolster the argument that winning university sports programs enhance the academic side of the collegiate experience.

Looking at University of Oregon student transcripts over 8 year and football wins over that same period, researchers Jason M. Lindo, Isaac D. Swensen, Glen R. Waddell calculated that a 25 percent increase in the football team’s winning percentage leads males to earn GPAs as if their SAT scores were 27 points lower. Yet, the researchers admit this does not take into account grade inflation over the years. But, as you can see in this chart below, as team wins go-up, male GPA suffers.”

13. Western Dave on 22 Dec 2011 at 6:32 am #

“[T]here’s a sentimental attachment to the music of our youth that’s probably not grokkable by those who were either too young or too old to get into it at the time.”

Or even peers from different contexts. During college, I visited my gf in LA one xmas and hung out with her hs friends. I played the VF album and they were like, “why does this suck so bad?” They were all into Oingo Boingo. UCLA not equal to Swat, a band I didn’t get at all.