December
13th 2011
I am trying to break your heart

Posted under: art, fluff

So much better than the original, which sounds like a flippin’ suicide note. (I always wondered, “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? Feedback and methodone: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!”) The retro sound stylings of JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound:

This is not a post about plagiarism. (But it could be, depending on what I find in my exams!)

7 Responses to “I am trying to break your heart”

1. Western Dave on 14 Dec 2011 at 8:31 am #

Holy Crap! I have a new theme song. (Replacing: Midnight Oil’s Forgotten Years and Joan Jett’s Bad Reputation which never coexisted all that well).

2. TriPartite Academic on 14 Dec 2011 at 8:36 am #

This is AWESOME! You just made my morning. FWIW, I like the Wilco version, too, but this is way fun.

3. Rachel on 14 Dec 2011 at 10:50 am #

I love this! I was lucky enough to see JC in a Chicago production of Passing Strange — he was amazing, and this is exactly the push I need to track down more of his stuff.

4. Dr. Virago on 15 Dec 2011 at 6:24 am #

OMG, I didn’t think I’d like this (I am *such* a Wilco woman), but I *love* it! Thanks!

FWIW, I think the original is *supposed* to sound like a suicide note, or at least like what it feels like to love a seriously depressed person. I get that, anyway.

5. Historiann on 15 Dec 2011 at 7:43 am #

Glad you all like it! I’m going to pretend that JC Brooks is my boyfriend now.

Dr. Virago: I know, I know. Fratguy is Mr. Wilco around here. The middle-aged depression and drug addiction pose is just too depressing for me. (I liked A.M., but that was a long time ago, when I was in my 20s and it seemed funny to listen to peppy songs about drunk driving.) Is Tweedy a version of what Kurt Cobain would have become if he hadn’t offed himself at 27?

6. Dr J on 15 Dec 2011 at 3:07 pm #

I’ll stand for no more Tweedy-bashing on this blog! Dude has a great sense of humor, though admittedly of the dark variety.
    To wit: http://www.wgntv.com/videogallery/66789435/News/Wilco-front-man-forecasts-the-weather
    And by the way, if you ever see/hear Wilco perform this song live you’ll love their version again.

7. Jacob on 18 Dec 2011 at 10:55 am #

I’m on the fence about this version overall, but putting the bridge from “Theologians” in the middle was brilliant.