November
26th 2011
Tenured Radical’s Top Ten Turkeys

Posted under: American history, Gender, jobs, students

Go read–it’s one impressive feminist meta-analysis of what ails education at all levels, as well as a tasty linkfest.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, I agree with all of her turkeys, and then some.  (Go ahead–guess where she puts Linda P. B. Kathei, the UC Davis Chancellor.  Also, don’t miss the fact that she not only puts the eternally dopey U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan on her list, she also co-nominates the man who elevated him to his eminent position, President Barack Obama.  So please, all of you who complain every time I write something you deem insufficiently worshipful of The One, go over to her comments section to b!tch for a change.)

Meanwhile–here’s something that’s worth 75 seconds of your time:

6 Responses to “Tenured Radical’s Top Ten Turkeys”

1. Contingent Cassandra on 26 Nov 2011 at 1:00 pm #

The Kimmel piece is hilarious; thank you! It’s amazing how well they were able to match up the words and gestures.

And yes, TR’s list is also well worth a read.

2. Indyanna on 26 Nov 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Great link. I’ll pick the low-hanging fruit from TR’s cornucopia, # 10, Nassau County, since I went to pre- and K-6 there when it was mostly Levittown writ large, plus a few left-over potato farms. The house that my parents sold for about $19,000 (o.k., so it was a long time ago) was flipped in 2006 for $617,000, a multiple of 32. Meanwhile, the one they bought a month later in the exurbs in Pennsylvania for $17,000, I sold in the same year (2006) for $315,000, a multiple of 18). With that kind of class-squeezing (class warfare?) going on, it’s small wonder those folks fight like cats and dogs over the choicest lamb chop on the college platter.

I wonder if those who stayed behind got that rich, or got squeezed out by the incoming 1%? We left there voluntarily and gratefully for more room, more cosmopolitan culture, cleaner air, safer streets, and I have to say, worse schools, and so more realistic, or at least finite, notions about other kinds of mobility. The test-fixer *and* the DA probably live where we did, on the “Middle” Shore, and couldn’t afford to drive through those tonier Gold Coast suburbs, much less live there.

3. Z on 26 Nov 2011 at 2:29 pm #

On Katehi, see what NG sent me: http://profacero.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/linda-katehi/

4. Liz2 on 26 Nov 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Jimmy Kimmel can’t count. Not 28 years, 38 years. Otherwise, I’ve just gotten a decade added to my life – woo hoo! Going to go read TR now. Thanks H-Ann!

5. Historiann on 26 Nov 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Liz2: I noticed the same math fail, but forgot to mention it. But hey–Bob Siegel the other night on All Things Considered misinformed his audience by claiming that Barack Obama won the 2008 New Hampshire Primary! So everything is subject to rewrite–why shouldn’t you take 10 years off your age?

6. cgeye on 27 Nov 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Katehi is a neofascist instigator — and for once, it’s not hyperbole: