November
20th 2011
The Ron Swanson Scholarship in Women’s Studies

Posted under: art, fluff, Gender, happy endings

The serious conversation about campus “police” brutality will continue below, but for those of you looking for a little Sunday morning light entertainment, see Amanda Krauss, the Worst Professor Ever, on the feminism of Parks and Recreation and the overall awesomeness of Ron Effing Swanson, man’s man and feminist icon.

I wish I could watch Parks and Recreation more often, but out here in the Mountain Time Zone it’s on at 7 p.m., and I’m ususally still feeding watering the horses.  I could start taping it, but my mother lives in Michigan and she’s the only person who knows how to program the VCR.  (And yes, I realize that it’s nearly 2012 and no longer 1988, and that it’s also funny that my mother is more technologically adept than I am.  But I have a perfectly good VCR, whereas a DVR and a better cable package would cost me money.  And the teevee just isn’t that important to me.)

6 Responses to “The Ron Swanson Scholarship in Women’s Studies”

1. Julia on 20 Nov 2011 at 10:19 am #

(Parks and Recreation is on Netflix! You can stream straight to the computer, or you can get a Roku to go with your VCR.)

2. Bix on 20 Nov 2011 at 10:30 am #

Parks and Rec is also on Hulu! http://www.hulu.com

3. life_of_a_fool on 20 Nov 2011 at 11:48 am #

Julia and Bix covered one point I was going to add. So, I’ll just say: I have always loved Ron Swanson and the latest episode made me love him even more.

4. Digger on 20 Nov 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Made of *win*. I loved the last few seconds when Andy (good natured, but clueless) sat right in the front row and held forth about “the wimminz.” I also am looking forward to more P&R Women’s Studies class!!

5. Perpetua on 21 Nov 2011 at 5:11 am #

OMG, we laughed until we cried chez Perpetua as Andy, Ron, and Andy’s wife (it’s a post on feminism and pop culture and I can’t remember the name of the female character!) were moved deeply by the women’s studies professor. It was awesome. I often compare P&R to 30 Rock (because there’s so much criticism of Liz Lemon’s “feminism” on that show vs P&R where the feminism is everywhere).

I watch all my TV shows on hulu. I can’t imagine ever watching evening network tv like I used to.

6. Amanda on 28 Nov 2011 at 7:18 pm #

A belated thanks for the pingback – and wow, it is so heartening to see this discussion. I really hope the women’s studies plot arc continues! Also, I second how easily available it is on Netflix/Hulu. Not that I’ve, you know, watched the whole series on a weekend or anything…