July
28th 2011
Synchronize Swatches!

Posted under: American history, art, childhood, fluff, happy endings, students

Living in the present reality is just too, too sad. Not for me personally, but for the Republic at large, and it just seems strange that summer is all popsicles and bike rides and the adult equivalent of day camps for me. (More on my recent summer adventures tomorrow, I hope.) So instead of ranting about all that again, how about a little fun? That’s right: the guy you know who just can’t lose. (Was I the only person who actually rooted for Ms. Musso and his sister?)

If only we could all be like Parker Lewis! And the lead actor, Corin Nemec, is still a working actor, so good for him.

This one of the only three shows I ever watched about high school, along with Square Pegs and Beverly Hills 90210. Does The Facts of Life count? (I guess once the main characters got to be in high school, it became a high school show.) I was a little too old for Saved by the Bell, I’m afraid. It didn’t have the absolute humorlessness that 90210 had, and I guess that was its main attraction for me. The show just took itself so seriously, which actually made it quite a bit like my memories of myself in high school.

I’m afraid I’m not a Gleek–it’s on too early out here in the west. I watched one episode of the new 90210 a few years ago while folding socks or something like that, and actually thought that it interfered with the comparative pleasure of sock-folding.

What nostalgic escapes appeal to you all?

16 Responses to “Synchronize Swatches!”

1. GayProf on 29 Jul 2011 at 8:21 am #

Nostalgic escapes? A little show involving a certain Amazon princess, of course. And I don’t mean Xena.

I never realized it, but I had Parker Lewis’s hairstyle in high school. Oh, to have that much hair again!

2. Comrade PhysioProf on 29 Jul 2011 at 8:25 am #

I miss sparking uppe fatties down by the creek behind school.

3. Indyanna on 29 Jul 2011 at 8:56 am #

Kind of reminds me of my 1970 reunion too. (We missed the time capsule and drilled into a natural gas line). For hard-hitting high school reportage, nothing ever eclipsed _Firesign Theater_, which never, alas–as far as I know–made it to the small screen, much less the big.

4. Dr. Virago on 29 Jul 2011 at 9:20 am #

Wait, does this mean you never watched Buffy?

I, too, am too old to have watched Saved By the Bell. Also what time and channel was it even on? I was always flummoxed by the instant nostalgia for it since I never knew it existed in the first place. So that means I encountered it *only* as nostalgia and then felt like I’d been living in some parallel universe. Weird feeling, that.

5. Historiann on 29 Jul 2011 at 9:47 am #

Never saw Buffy either. For the past 10 years, I’ve lived in a house in which the TV lives in a room in the basement, so there’s been no such thing as Must See TV in my life for the past decade. (I’m not bragging–just kind of wondering about the amazing power of out of sight, out of mind.)

And wasn’t that on some low-power UHF channel (WB?) We didn’t have cable back in Ohio, and even here I don’t think they’ve got that channel, if it even exists any more.

6. fratguy on 29 Jul 2011 at 11:14 am #

Donna……Martin…….Graduates.

7. FrauTech on 29 Jul 2011 at 11:49 am #

My So Called Life.

Yeah, I’m a youngin’. It’s streamable on netflix now and it’s weird watching it as an adult and realizing how young and immature Angela is when at the time she seemed so quiet and so cool. It’s also weird to now have more in common with the parents than with the kids.

8. Historiann on 29 Jul 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Heh. The worm has turned, hasn’t it? I liked MSCL when it was on in the mid-90s, but I never became a regular viewer.

9. Leslie on 29 Jul 2011 at 8:29 pm #

Buffy, but only the earlier seasons, before it got all weird and not-funny.

I’d kind of like to see Gilligan’s Island again, but not enough to go looking for it.

10. Leslie M-B on 29 Jul 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Definitely Buffy.

Plus, so many shows (especially those set in Florida) are filmed in the city where I grew up (Long Beach, CA) that I get nostalgic watching just about any show these days.

11. rustonite on 29 Jul 2011 at 10:09 pm #

buffy is probably the one show I get nostalgic about.

12. Historiann on 30 Jul 2011 at 6:18 am #

Isn’t this what Hulu was invented for? Also, endless Buffy re-runs.

13. Leslie on 30 Jul 2011 at 7:52 am #

OK, I had to look up Hulu. Someone must own Gilligan’s Island or make more money from it than Hulu can offer, cause it’s not there. On the other hand (oh, dear), there are 103 episodes of 21 Jump Street just sitting there.

14. Historiann on 30 Jul 2011 at 7:55 am #

Johnny Depp! Johnny Depp! Johnny Depp!!!!!

15. Dr. Virago on 30 Jul 2011 at 9:04 am #

OK, but why haven’t you *still* not seen Buffy? It’s available on DVD, you know. I think you need to watch you some Buffy! (And yeah, it started on the WB and moved to UPN. I was living in LA at the time, so a little oblivious to how hard it was to get such stations elsewhere.)

Oh, also, it wasn’t precisely about high school, but the Gilmore Girls was a smart and literate show featuring a teen “reading girl.”

16. Western Dave on 09 Aug 2011 at 7:43 pm #

BUFFFFFYYYYYYY! The only show on TV where everybody comes out as something: a slayer, gay, a werewolf, an ex-demon. High school as coming out process = awesome. (Catching up on posts after a jaunt to NM).