July
15th 2011
AIA Barbie Dream House competition

Posted under: American history, art, childhood, Dolls, fluff, jobs

Architect friend MBB forwarded this intel on yesterday about the American Institute of Architects’s Barbie Dream House competition:

At the convention, there was a lot of buzz about Mattel’s Barbie® I Can Be™…Architect. Please help us continue the buzz by sharing the following with members so they can vote for their favorite dream house.

Check out the designs–the one with the pool slide from the runway is really tempting, but I think I like the Eero Saarinen-esque one the best. At least, I can see myself living and working in those airy, sunny pods quite easily! You can review them all and vote for your favorite, too.

After all, I’m just a Barbie girl, in my Barbie world–life in plastic, it’s fantastic!

6 Responses to “AIA Barbie Dream House competition”

1. Matt_L on 15 Jul 2011 at 8:19 am #

Tough call Historiann… I liked the one with the elliptical concrete shapes and the three car garage. I liked the realism and the focus on outdoor living.

But I ended up voting for the pods because it was the only design that specifically mentioned having a library. Where would Barbie put all her books in those other designs?

2. fratguy on 15 Jul 2011 at 11:27 am #

And WHY has Katie Perry not covered this song yet ?????

3. wini on 15 Jul 2011 at 11:45 am #

Giraffe home. Giraffe home. Giraffe home.

4. Comrade PhysioProf on 15 Jul 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Fucke all this goddamn shitte! I want my own fucken helicopter! A motherfucken pink one! With champagne!

5. shaz on 15 Jul 2011 at 6:29 pm #

My barbies lived in my mother’s old sewing box, which I harnessed to a knock-off brand horse, so they could head West, wherever that was. Too bad about the tornadoes that left them fighting to escape from burial under bobbins.

Times were hard back then. No pods or dream houses or helicopters.

6. Historiann on 16 Jul 2011 at 6:21 am #

No giraffes either?

Helicopters are too noisy! Flying cars are much quieter.