February
7th 2011
More guns in the hands of college students is just the ticket!

Posted under: American history, Gender, students, unhappy endings

One man was killed and eleven people were injured at an off-campus party among students at Youngstown State University over the weekend.  Strangely, the angle of this story at Inside Higher Ed is the danger of off-campus fraternity parties, not the danger of this nation’s promiscuous access to firearms.

I’m glad that the national media are interested in violence in college parties in the case of a deadly shooting.  Usually, the violence directed at women (in the form of sexual assault) and young men physically assaulted by other men at fraternity parties never even gets reported, let alone media attention.

Here’s something from the Denver Post’s AP wire story that interested me this morning:

This is one of those days that every university president across the country, as well as many other officials, always dread,” [Youngstown State U]niversity president Cynthia Anderson said at a news conference on campus. She had visited the wounded and their families at the hospital earlier in the day.

Anderson said she had been assured by police that there was no threat to the northeast Ohio campus.

No threat at all–except for the existential threat we all live under in the land of the free and the home of the brave:  people everywhere in these United States can be armed, dangerous, and prone to shoot up a crowd just because.

8 Responses to “More guns in the hands of college students is just the ticket!”

1. Notorious Ph.D. on 07 Feb 2011 at 9:08 am #

And yet Texas is thinking about extending their concealed-carry law to college campuses. Nice.

2. Historiann on 07 Feb 2011 at 9:35 am #

It’s already happened here. A court here has ruled that unis can’t restrict people with concealed carry permits from bringing their guns to campus.

(Realistically though, it’s all an imaginary debate unless they put metal detectors and security detail at every building entry and exit on campus. Even if they “banned” guns, what’s to stop someone from violating the ban?)

3. FrauTech on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:11 am #

Pretty sure there are states already (Utah?) where concealed carry is allowed on campus. More strict state gun laws don’t seem to necessarily result in fewer mass killings. I still don’t see why we don’t start implementing psych tests in order to get a handgun license rather than trivial background testing and then trying to control hardware. Seems bassackwards.

4. Historiann on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:42 am #

I don’t agree if we look at it on a per-capita basis. It sure seems like there have been a way disproportionate number of mass shootings in the pro-gun access Western states like CO, AZ, UT, TX, and in the Southeastern states like Virginia and Alabama. It’s not an urban/rural thing, either–I don’t recall any mass murders in New Hampshire, Vermont, or the Dakotas recently. (I realize there may be some regional bias here–since I’m in the Mountain West, I probably know about a lot of smaller, low-victim count incidents out here than in the Northeast.)

Everyone knows about Columbine High School in 1999, but there have been dramatic gun massacres or attempted massacres in this state almost every year I’ve lived here: the crazy gunman who was killed in the Colorado State Capitol building on his way to the Governor’s office in 2007, the New Life Church shootings 2007, the hostage/murder of Emily Keyes in 2006, and so on. That’s a pretty impressive rate of mass homocide or attempted mass homocide for a state with only 4 million people in the 2000s.

5. Another Damned Medievalist on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I always wonder about how that works on campuses with childcare centers, because even in states with the least restrictive concealed-carry laws, there is usually a provision to keep them off K-12 campuses and preschools. So, if a college or university has one of those, or is located within a certain distance of one, how does that work?

Also? when I taught in WA, it always freaked me out that students could carry weapons, if they had permits, but as a state employee, I couldn’t (not that I would have), because state workplace laws forbid that!

6. mike on 10 Feb 2011 at 6:40 am #

The pro-gun folks believe, or at least claim to believe, that more guns makes for less gun violence. I don’t buy it, I think it’s a dreadful mistake to continue allowing gun availability to increase.

Thanks for posting about this.

7. Ryan on 10 Feb 2011 at 7:47 am #

The problem is not guns. The problem is our society. People are blaming inanimate objects. I would like to have bans on forks, spoons, and soda bottles because they are making America fat and unhealthy. I do not want people to have access to these THINGS!! We need to hold individuals accountable. When we hold society accountable for one persons actions we are sending a message to go out be stupid and it’s not your fault. You more then likely will spend the rest of your time in prison out of the world you already didn’t know how to live in. The vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. If some one could not use a gun they would use something else. 9/11 hijackers used boycotters and they killed approx. 3,000 people. You may say ohh that was terrorism and they were terrorists. Well Va tech guy was braking the law so he was a CRIMINAL obviously he was not law abiding just like the terrorists thats why we call them criminals and terrorists. We do not live in a perfect world but we do have it better then most. You want to get rid of guns GREAT get rid of the worlds guns. IF you don’t someone will have an unfair advantage. Those who are on the bottom will do whatever it takes to get to the top and that is called history. If you get rid of one of the ten amendments in our BILL of Rights those rights are worthless, then where are we? Hold individuals accountable mass punishment does not work.

8. Ryan on 10 Feb 2011 at 7:53 am #

I apologize for the grammatical errors in my previous comments. My passion was high and wanted my thoughts to be submitted quickly.