December
23rd 2010
Winter Wonderland

Posted under: fluff, happy endings, local news

This is about the only version of this tune I can stand–I’ve always thought “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” a pretty dopey song, but Peggy Lee jazzes it up good for the Hi-Fis of the hepcats of 1967.  I hope your winter holiday celebrations are off to a nice start and that your travels haven’t been too hampered by the horrible winter weather that has afflicted just about every part of North America save this dry, warmish patch of the High Plains Desert.  (Seriously–3 and 4 FEET of snow on the Western Slope, and we got nuthin’ here.  Not that I’m complaining–much–but a few strategic inches of overnight snow would cover up the dead, brown grass and lend a festive air.)

Happy holidays!

Most of the extended famille Historiann are visiting from parts elsewhere this holiday, so posting may be light for the next few days.  Just click the video above and picture me, cocktail in hand, enjoying not being a control freak perfectionist–for a change!

Let’s make it a little less Martha Stewart, and a little more Peggy (Lee and Bundy) this year, shall we?  Happy holidays, and a happy year’s end to you all.  Let’s call this an open thread for your fave Christmas musical stylings and/or cocktail recipes.

10 Responses to “Winter Wonderland”

1. Dr. Crazy on 23 Dec 2010 at 9:26 am #

Happy Christmas!

2. squadratomagico on 23 Dec 2010 at 9:36 am #

We’ve been doing some cocktail explorations ’round here: my city seems to be having a cocktail moment, with lots of newish hipster bars offering some interesting drinks. And SweetCliffie and I recently got together with another couple and concocted some homemade orgeat, a yummy almond syrup used in certain sweeter cocktails, like a mai tai.

A great Christmas aperitif with an intense, somewhat bitter flavor and a lovely garnet hue is the negroni: 1 oz. each gin, campari, and cinzano; shaken, not stirred; garnished with an orange slice.

Enjoy the holidays! Hope your family gathering is warm and wonderful.

3. truffula on 23 Dec 2010 at 10:42 am #

Did anybody else hear the story today on NPR Morning Edition about how magical everything was when (white, middle class) women were mending clothes, cooking up nurturing meals, wearing red lipstick, and otherwise practicing the womanly arts of homemaking? I’m pretty sure this is all about economic insecurity and the great imaginary threat of the feminized workplace but still, gag me NPR.

The interview with Sally SInger, editor of the New York Times style magazine (you know, where the articles about women are found), was supposedly about the trend for homemaking nostalgia books. The last gag-inducing bit of the interview, repeated in the last paragraph of the article at the NPR website:

“Taking care of one’s home and one’s self and one’s friendships involve little rituals, and if we can just relearn those rituals, we can knit a civil society together in a different way that is both more meaningful and, in Jessica’s [the author of one of the books being discussed] word, exquisite.”

Right. Darning socks will totally fix the gender gap in computer science. Oh wait, that’s not the goal, is it? Gag me, NYT and NPR. And bite me too.

I think I will have a cocktail now! And a happy, just, winter holiday season to all!

4. Indyanna on 23 Dec 2010 at 10:49 am #

Glad you’re staying in the foothills this year, Historiann, but I do wish you could get a six inch white blanket (not slanket!) to crisp things up a bit. Bone dry and cold back here in Philly, but we can always hope. Hepcat and Hi-fi made me just think of a word once coined right across the river from here: Victrola!

5. Tenured Radical on 23 Dec 2010 at 11:11 am #

Looks like Comrade PhysioProf dropped by for a snort. Happy Hols, Historiann!

6. koshem Bos on 23 Dec 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Happy Holidays to all, wishes for employment for the unemployed, more deficits and and health and proper prosperity to family and friends, even more love for my grandkids.

Thank you Historiann for another excellent year of posting. Thanks to commenters for insight and variety.

7. Katrina on 23 Dec 2010 at 2:54 pm #

Happy Christmas to you, Historiann. Thanks for all the great reading, and a happy new blogging year ahead!

(and happy holidays to you fellow readers – I always like the discussion here in the comments)

8. Digger on 23 Dec 2010 at 9:19 pm #

-clinks glasses- Cheers, eh?

I think this holiday I am going to have egg nog with rum. Haven’t had one in years, and feeling a bit (yep, gonna say it) nostalgic. For egg nog and rum. Not so much on the homemaking lipstick thing… because nostalgia suggests a wistful longing and of all the things I might wistfully long for, homemaking and lipstick are not on the list. -shudder-

9. undine on 24 Dec 2010 at 10:26 am #

Happy Christmas, Historiann!

10. Dr. Koshary on 24 Dec 2010 at 1:01 pm #

I have precious little appetite for Christmas songs. John McCutcheon’s song about the 1914 Christmas truce between the British and German trench lines, though, has always resonated with me:

(Apologies for the sentimentality of the photo montage; I couldn’t find my favorite recording of it on YouTube.)