December
19th 2010
Darth Vader bested by canteen worker

Posted under: art, bad language, fluff

“DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?” “You’re Mr. Stevens??”

More grading for me. “DEATH BY TRAY IT SHALL BE!”

11 Responses to “Darth Vader bested by canteen worker”

1. Indyanna on 19 Dec 2010 at 9:52 am #

That’s great! Back at the old college on the hill, we used to go through that exact same routine every snowy day we wanted to take a cafeteria tray to go out sliding on. No one ever heard of Arabiata, least of all me.

2. koshem Bos on 19 Dec 2010 at 9:55 am #

Exams are done. This year’s innovation: some students just didn’t bother to write one. One question baffled almost everyone and I thought it’s a give away.

Now is time to watch foreign movies (Netflix), read and make and send to my kids my late mother’s cookies. Too cold for other things.

3. HistoryMaven on 19 Dec 2010 at 10:46 am #

Along with the Sophia Gould letter, this reminds me of some of my former colleagues’ behaviors. (I’m still laughing as I write.) And now, having left academe, I ain’t grading, either. (Make that a diabolically self-serving laugh.)

But please know I do miss some of my old life as university-based historian. Thank goodness for your blog, Historiann!

4. undine on 19 Dec 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Every time I see “penne alla arriviata” (or whatever it is) on a menu now, I fall down laughing.

5. Dr. Koshary on 19 Dec 2010 at 2:22 pm #

That’s Jeff Vader! :D

6. Comrade PhysioProf on 19 Dec 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Izzard is totally fucken hilarious!

7. quixote on 19 Dec 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Every time I see that, it’s as funny … or funnier … or, anyway, I’m laughing so hard I can’t tell.

There’s also a clip of Izzard himself running through the dialogue, but, for me, the Lego version is better.

I’ve met that canteen worker, by the way. He changes jobs, though. Sometimes he’s at the DMV. He’s been a TSA agent, I swear.

8. Digger on 19 Dec 2010 at 5:50 pm #

I totally needed this right now. I give my final exam tomorrow night; I shall be murmuring “death by tray,” I’m sure!

9. Indyanna on 19 Dec 2010 at 5:58 pm #

I finished a batch of grading today, not the last but the next-to-last, refueled in part by several doses of the mirth of this clip. So I decided that I was definitely have something smothered in arabiata tonight, but my grocer let me down. It’s back to plain old marinara on the rocks, with a chaser.

Amazing what you can do with Legos. A site of substantial interest for one of my research projects, in the 18th century near Windsor Castle, has become Legoland U.K. in recent years. Too bizarre for me.

10. Lady Traveller on 19 Dec 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Thank you for this as I am up to my eyeballs in final exam essays and this is JUST what I needed! I love Eddie Izzard and this is one of the best bits of his “done” as Legos! :D THANKS!!

11. Clio Bluestocking on 19 Dec 2010 at 6:34 pm #

I thought we got a choice: cake or death.