December
13th 2010
Baby I’m a-laughing

Posted under: American history, art, childhood, fluff

Do you get the joke below, and if you do what is your age?  (Leave your answers in the comments below.)

Here’s the joke:  when we’re listening to the news and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates’s name is mentioned, Fratguy says to me, “and Bread.”  And I laugh my a$$ off!

Does anyone else find this funny?  Or are we just out of our apparently still six- and three-year-old minds?  (That’s how old we were for most of  1972.)

Did this band every make any songs that weren’t annoying?  I challenge you to name just one!

17 Responses to “Baby I’m a-laughing”

1. JJO on 13 Dec 2010 at 9:09 pm #

I didn’t actually get the joke, but I guessed it, if that makes sense. I’m vaguely familiar with the Bread oeuvre, and assumed that was the lead singer’s name. Rock doesn’t get much softer than that.

2. Mother of ALL on 14 Dec 2010 at 5:58 am #

It was David Gates and I got the joke. My private joke is Neil Conan (?). I always add O’Brien or The Barbarian. And by the way, 64

3. Western Dave on 14 Dec 2010 at 7:55 am #

Am unfortunately aware of Bread and can sing perhaps two or three songs. Had no idea of any band members’ names. Born in ’67 but two older brothers who were teenagers in 1972. I’ma gonna need a nap if I have to listen to the Guitar Man track again, though.

4. m on 14 Dec 2010 at 9:44 am #

I had no clue! Though I’ve heard of Bread. But I wasn’t born til 7 years after 1972.

5. Knitting Clio on 14 Dec 2010 at 9:55 am #

I hate Bread so didn’t even listen to this. Oh yeah, and I just turned 47.

6. Grad Student on 14 Dec 2010 at 10:38 am #

Did not get the joke and had to look up Bread on Wikipedia. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard one of their songs before, though the name sounds vaguely familiar. Born in 1985.

7. Dr. Crazy on 14 Dec 2010 at 11:24 am #

Didn’t get the joke (b. 1974), but I am very familiar with the record “The Best of Bread” (owned by my father, god only knows why.) That said, “It Don’t Matter to Me” is teh awesome.

8. Indyanna on 14 Dec 2010 at 11:38 am #

We were ALL three that year, Historiann, and the whole world was an elevator. I’m almost getting nostalgic for hating on it, and hoping for a Jefferson Airplane reunion tour. Back then, I mean.

9. Indyanna on 14 Dec 2010 at 11:39 am #

p.s. Maybe you know a good “Volunteers of America” joke?

10. LadyProf on 14 Dec 2010 at 11:59 am #

Although it too is annoying, “Diary” has some redeeming value. Words + tune = treacle, and historians here can probably confirm that no diary has ever been found “underneath a tree,” the better to rhyme with “meeee.” But after all those song lyrics extolling violent jealousy, I give Gates a couple of points for saying that the woman he’d been with is not his property.

11. Indyanna on 14 Dec 2010 at 12:06 pm #

@LadyProf. Yeah, In noticed that one of the comments under the Youtube itself says something of the same thing about the last point, in a bit courser language.

12. Western Dave on 14 Dec 2010 at 2:37 pm #

@Indyanna Way to put Historiann’s back against the wall. That said, we can be together on this Bread thing.

13. Feminist Avatar on 14 Dec 2010 at 3:26 pm #

For me Bread is this:

14. Janice on 14 Dec 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Hey, kiddo, watch it! I was nine in ’72. I even owned a cassette of their greatest hits. (Not an 8-track, sorry to say.)

But, yeah, I snorted at the joke!

15. undine on 15 Dec 2010 at 10:36 am #

Did not get the joke or even know the band that sang this song, although once I clicked on your link it came back to me as a strongly repressed memory filed under “Bad Music of the 1970s.”

Every time I see “Gates” something in a headline, my first reaction is “Bill? Bill Gates is going to donate his fortune to get us out of this mess?”

16. Indyanna on 15 Dec 2010 at 11:11 am #

@ Western Dave: Oh, I get it. Volunteers of America. Up against the wall…. Running a little slow these days, the moreso each decade we go back. I didn’t even get a riff off my own joke.

17. Western Dave on 16 Dec 2010 at 7:05 am #

@Indyanna I did twenty minuntes on Jefferson Airplane in my 60s class last year. With a special emphasis on the Volunteers album and the controversy around “We should be together” and then paired it with the Ballad of the Green Berets. So it was relatively fresh in my mind.