October
28th 2010
Roundin’ ‘em up and ridin’ on out

Posted under: fluff, happy endings

Arches?  Arches?  I don’t have to show you any stinkin’ arches.”  We’re having a krazy desert kamping weekend in Arches National Park anyway.  In October!  What can I say–Fratguy is a New Englander, so the less comfortable he is, the more fun he’s having.  (Plus, he does all the work and delivers my steaming mug of coffee in the morning while I snooze in my 20-degree bag.)  I’m a little abashed that I’ve lived in Colorado for nearly a decade and I’m just now getting around to this trip.

Blogging will resume when we cross back over the state line.  Talk amongst yourselves.  And be nice!

12 Responses to “Roundin’ ‘em up and ridin’ on out”

1. squadratomagico on 28 Oct 2010 at 10:22 am #

Well, if he’s making you camp in the cold the least he can do is bring you the coffee! Have great fun! And leave your stiletto heels at home.

2. Matt L on 28 Oct 2010 at 10:33 am #

Arches in the fall… wonderful!

3. Janice on 28 Oct 2010 at 11:36 am #

Both my husband and I got our fill of winter and mountain camping while we were younger: he in Montreal, I in various venues all across middle America. And now living north of what the big city folk call “cottage country”, we’ve decided that we’re already remote enough right here in our cozy ol’ homestead. No camping for us! But I’ll wish you a lovely time on your rustic retreat!

4. GayProf on 28 Oct 2010 at 11:42 am #

The only camp that I enjoy involves Bette Davis. Nonetheless, I hope you have a good time.

5. Indyanna on 28 Oct 2010 at 11:46 am #

I’ve lived in Pennsylvania for the best part of a whole life and have never even seen Jersey Shore (PA), :), but this may well end within the month. Sounds like you’re getting Utah covered like a drumhead, Historiann. Have a great trip and pack warm!

6. rustonite on 28 Oct 2010 at 12:04 pm #

7. ga on 28 Oct 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Rustonite said: “as a fellow New Englander, I understand. It got below freezing here today for the first time this year, and I wear it’s the first time in six months I’ve felt comfortable.”

Oh, lucky, lucky you. I’m in the deep South where it seldom gets cold. I’ve come to believe that genetically I’m bred for nothern latitudes and never, ever will acclimate to this environment. To be *home* and experience both a hard frost and definite seasons…

The camping? Eh, when dating my “boy scout” years ago it was all fun. Now I see no virtue in roughing it. Give me a motel at night and I’ll hike all day but that’s as far as I’m goin’.

GAA

8. Hotshot Harry on 28 Oct 2010 at 12:36 pm #

“Fratguy is a New Englander, so the less comfortable he is, the more fun he’s having.”

We don’t have fun. We just have varying levels of contentedness.

9. Bing on 28 Oct 2010 at 3:47 pm #

The most magnificent landscape I have ever seen. A girlfriend made me drive an hour out of our way to see them against my will. The most amazing, stunning and beautiful location I have ever been dragged to kicking and screaming!

HJ

10. Comrade PhysioProf on 28 Oct 2010 at 8:15 pm #

The best thing about camping is that you can start drinking booze right in the morning when you wake uppe. Cause it’s allowed.

11. femme inista on 28 Oct 2010 at 8:36 pm #

New Englanders know that there is no bad weather. Just bad gear. Have fun.

12. Grad Student on 29 Oct 2010 at 2:41 pm #

I spent spring break a couple years ago camping in Arches. An 18 hour car ride there and then a week of camping in the snow was actually exactly what I needed. Enjoy the time away and say “Hi” to Moab for all of us!