September
25th 2010
Some people say I’ve done alright for a girl

Posted under: art, childhood, fluff, Gender

“Brand New Key,” by Melanie, which might be a flashback for some of you.  I like this 8mm movie directed by Nancy Walterscheid back in the day:

I hope you’re enjoying a lovely, warm autumn afternoon. We are here in Potterville, where it’s Oktobkerfest! See you down at Lincoln Park.

11 Responses to “Some people say I’ve done alright for a girl”

1. Comrade PhysioProf on 25 Sep 2010 at 4:44 pm #

I’d much rather be drinkin’ a fucken beer, munching a brat, and shaking my asse to some fucken polka music than watching this fucken stultifying Yankees game right now.

2. squadratomagico on 25 Sep 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Love this! Thanks!

3. JJO on 25 Sep 2010 at 6:33 pm #

95 degrees in this neck of the supposedly temperate woods does not count as a “lovely warm autumn afternoon,” unfortunately. At least the musical offerings are in the 70s.

4. Indyanna on 25 Sep 2010 at 7:02 pm #

Nice clip! Did Walterscheid stay in the industry? Li’l too warm back here in the East, you almost might say, although it’s heading in a more moderate direction.

5. koshem Bos on 25 Sep 2010 at 7:18 pm #

Nice song, nice day in the Capital and the lady is away with her grandkids. Took advantage of the aloneness and made okra with kidney bean and a genuine hummus. Liked the song and the girl skating.

6. Digger on 25 Sep 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Yay for brand new roller skates! And hellz yeah for doing alright!!

7. Mamie on 25 Sep 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Takes me back. Thanks!

8. Historiann on 26 Sep 2010 at 9:04 am #

Glad you liked it! It seemed to sum up the day yesterday. We’re expecting another lovely autumn day–in the 40s at night but climbing into the 80s in the afternoon, and not a cloud in sight.

September truly is a beautiful month in Colorado.

9. Indyanna on 26 Sep 2010 at 1:03 pm #

When did they stop using a “key” to “start” roller skates? In the 1970s this would have been comparable to using some metaphor wrapped around “cranking” a motor vehicle to get it moving in maybe 1948. My skate keys had long since disappeared into the attic when that song came out, and “in-line” skates were on the horizon.

10. Historiann on 27 Sep 2010 at 9:22 am #

Indyanna–I’m not sure exactly, but I don’t ever remember needing them for the kind of strap-on adjustables depicted above (ca. mid-1970s.) I think in-line skates were at least a decade away–I don’t remember polyurethane wheels coming on the neighborhood scene until the late 70s, anyway, and I never saw in-line skates until at least the late 80s.

I always hated those incompetent in-line skaters taking up space on the biking and running trails on the Charles River in Cambridge and Boston. Too many of them were out there in the early 1990s, and too many of them were incapable of staying upright, let alone “walking” their dogs at the same time. In fact, too many of them were being towed by their dogs.

11. Dirk on 28 Nov 2014 at 9:01 pm #

I still have my adjustable strap-on skates just like in the video. They do require a key to adjust the clamps. And yes, I still have my key too!