August
24th 2010
Where the hell is my flying car?

Posted under: art, fluff, happy endings, local news

Eat your heart out, Judy Jetson.  I got a new car.  (Thanks, Fratguy!)

I had higher hopes for what cars of the 21st century would be like, but I’ll have to settle for a new-used 2008 Prius, which satisfies my compulsive frugality completely.  It doesn’t fly, but I think I’m going to take it to a custom shop and get doors like a Delorean that at least look like wings when you open them.  (So long as it doesn’t screw with my mileage too much, that is.)

With my house built in 1951 and my 21st century car, it’s all Back to the Future, all the time at chez Historiann!

12 Responses to “Where the hell is my flying car?”

1. ej on 24 Aug 2010 at 9:46 am #

Wow-you finally broke down and got a new car.

Or should I say, the Saturn finally broke down…

2. Historiann on 24 Aug 2010 at 10:07 am #

Um, yes–the latter. The brakes went out a few weeks ago. We repaired them, but decided that it was starting to suffer from the dwindles.

Funny story: the car salesman gave us a trade-in deal, but then immediately said, “I’m not gonna keep this car on my lot.”

3. Notorious Ph.D. on 24 Aug 2010 at 10:07 am #

But will your Prius be able to time-travel?

4. Indyanna on 24 Aug 2010 at 10:09 am #

Congratulations, Historiann! We can fret a bit less about your commute up-mountain now when the snow starts flying out there. Can you really get aftermarket gullwings put on a car, or is this just a “Transformers” [R] kind of a reverie? Talk about generations!

5. Historiann on 24 Aug 2010 at 10:13 am #

Indyanna–I was just kidding about the Delorean wings. (I’m too lazy, not to mention cheap.)

As for the time travel: we’ll see. . .

6. Janice on 24 Aug 2010 at 2:38 pm #

I’m still waiting for my bubble car. . . .

7. koshem Bos on 24 Aug 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Don’t forget to employ some American by ordering an expensive American made item(s).

On second thought, it may be made by them terrible illegals, so be careful not to take above item with you to Arizona.

8. Susan on 24 Aug 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Congratulations on the new wheels. I’m waiting till the plug in hybrids are available ….

9. Comrade PhysioProf on 24 Aug 2010 at 7:18 pm #

Do you have a gymme bagge full of fucken blow in the trunk???

10. Historiann on 24 Aug 2010 at 7:51 pm #

I wish, CPP. (I think I was the only teenager in the 1980s to “just say ‘no’,” per Nancy Reagan’s advice.) Now it’s probably too late to develop anything other than a really unattractive alcohol dependency.

Susan, I thought about the Chevy Volt, or a plug-in bubble car, but my car was seriously circling the drain, and I knew I probably couldn’t hold out until there was a reasonably priced used Volt, or whatever. (Plus, I’ve had GM cars forever. Time for a change. They’ve been extremely reliable and maintenance-free cars, though, I must say.)

We always get used cars. We’re cheap. What can I say?

11. Dr. Crazy on 25 Aug 2010 at 7:49 am #

“Now it’s probably too late to develop anything other than a really unattractive alcohol dependency.”

Oh, pshaw. You can totally develop a dependency on prescription drugs.

12. Ex-Pat on 25 Aug 2010 at 8:35 am #

Congratulations ! Welcome to the hybrid world and “how many mpg are you getting?” Three years ago they were not very common in northern New England and we used to wave to each other at stop lights.Now there seem to be lots, must be us frugal types up here.