April
13th 2010

Posted under: art, European history, happy endings, jobs, students, technoskepticism

402? He doesn't look a day over 21!

Just go read Flavia, and weep.

As I said in the comments, education works:  pass it on.  All I can say is thank dog she was teaching Paradise Lost and not Toni Morrison or Virginia Woolf.  Otherwise, she’d be accused of infiltrating the high schools with her subversive Marxist-feminist agenda ZOMG1!!1!111!!!  (And as we all know, that’s Historiann’s bailiwick.  Pass that on, too, willya?)

Speaking of dangerous subversives:  has anyone else out there actually read Milton?  Areopagitica was some pretty left-wing stuff in its day:  “As good almost kill a man as kill a good book: who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God’s image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were, in the eye.”  In the words of the immortal Vanilla Ice:  word to ya mutha.

6 Responses to “And now, an important announcement brought to you by education, not by Twitter, faceBook, clickers, any i-crap, “Centers for Teaching and Learning” (ugh!), standardized curricula, or “assessment.” (But maybe by a blog or two.)”

1. Flavia on 13 Apr 2010 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for the shout-out, H!

I was just today thinking about what bullshit the “uncanonical” objections to Toni Morrison et al. are. I work on some damn uncanonical writers from time to time myself — but because these minor writers are all dead white males (and often ordained ministers) from Ye Golden Age of English Literature, I get patted on the back by a certain kind of cultural conservative for “rescuing” or “rediscovering” them. Teh wimmins, I guess, can stay lost.

2. Janice on 13 Apr 2010 at 5:34 pm #

I’ve read a fair bit of Milton and I usually manage to suck one or two students a year into doing the same. Last term a freshman in western civ gave it a whirl, reading some parts of Paradise Lost as fodder for an essay testing the role of Machiavellianism in early modern England. It was great fun to watch the student work with such a challenging project.

Flavia should be happy — in this case, the high school had already done some preparatory work in introducing this student to Milton. But her story is awesome, I must say!

3. Dr. Crazy on 13 Apr 2010 at 7:32 pm #

VWoolf in the high schools isn’t a problem as long as they focus on the stream-of-consciousness stuff and the fact that she’s a laydee. The day Three Guineas or Orlando is taught in a high school as required curriculum, that’s when I’ll think that the revolution has begun.

4. Trudy on 14 Apr 2010 at 1:10 am #

How serendipitous! (Just looking for an excuse to use that word, and voilá, here it is). I am currently taking John Rogers course on Milton through the Yale Open Courses online. He did have some way out there radical ideas! How is it possible that I had never known this before? I am so excited to be learning about it now, though. I especially love that I am learning about it and don’t have to write any papers nor prep for any test, so that I can just kick off my shoes, grab a cup of coffee, relax, and enjoy the lectures and readings.

5. Feminist Avatar on 14 Apr 2010 at 2:24 am #

I once had a go at his treatises on divorce, which are quite nicely radical for his era. I have never made it through Paradise Lost- think it was the Presbyterian in me; I’d had enough Hell, thank you.

6. Matt L on 14 Apr 2010 at 7:42 am #

Hurray Flavia! Thats great! Its what an education should be about!