April
6th 2010
Historiann hits the Old Northwest Territory, again!

Posted under: American history, conferences, Gender, Intersectionality, jobs, O Canada, race, students, women's history

Sorry for the radio silence these last few days–I’ve been on the road, in the air, and on the ground at Michigan State University to give a talk about my current research project and to discuss my book with a class here.  (More news–including a podcast!–coming soon.)  I’m always happy to visit what we in Colorado call the East:  it’s a beautiful spring here, with lovely green grass and flowers bursting open everywhere I look.  The accomodations are far from spartan–in fact, they and the hospitality here have been downright stately.  And who wouldn’t love to visit a university campus with its own dairy and retail store?

Fragrant white magnolias

Scented white magnolias!

The former Michigan Agricultural College has a lot in common with Baa Ram U., which was originally called Colorado Agricultural College (“for Eighth Grade graduates!”)  Our Deans and Provosts like to call MSU a “peer institution,” but from my perspective in the History department, that’s ridiculous:  MSU’s history department has 54 faculty members, 100 graduate students, and a Ph.D. program.  They also get pre-tenure leave.  We got nothin’ compared to that.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone cam.

They also have the fabulous CIC-AISC (American Indian Studies Consortium), under the direction of Professor Susan Sleeper-Smith, which has generously sponsored my visit here.  Next up for the AISC is the Eleventh Annual CIC-American Indian Studies Consortium Graduate Student Conference, which will be held on April 22-24, 2010. The Keynote speaker will be Dr. Benjamin Ramirez-shkwegnaabi.  It’s too late to apply to this year’s conference, but those of you who are doing Indian history should put it on your calendars for next year.  But, others of you in the Northwest Territory who are interested in Indian history or ethnohistory might want to drop by for day or two, so you can find a detailed conference schedule, deadlines, the call for papers, information about conference awards, travel, registration and lodging, and related conference links, on the AISP website

See ya tomorrow, friends, after I’ve returned to the ranch, provided that I don’t feel too much like I was rode hard and put away wet.  We’ll see!

10 Responses to “Historiann hits the Old Northwest Territory, again!”

1. Katherine on 06 Apr 2010 at 1:18 pm #

Yea Susan Sleeper-Smith! I met her at the Berks last time, she’s lovely!

2. Indyanna on 06 Apr 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Just ’cause it’s called East Lansing don’t quite rightly make it “East!” I’m heading a couple hundred miles east from Bituminosia tomorrow and will still not get to salt water, unless a Chesapeake Bay bridge collapses or something. What state name did Thomas Jefferson propose to give to that part of the Lower Peninsula? Will look forward to that podcast. Happy traveling tomorrow!

3. Historiann on 06 Apr 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Katherine–she really is a very generous and accomodating host, and her students are really smart. (Plus, it’s just nice to find out that someone is reading your book and taking it seriously.)

A good cure for the slumps, I tell ya.

4. Comrade PhysioProf on 06 Apr 2010 at 6:41 pm #

That’s pretty fucking swank that they serve free lunch at departmental/program seminars!

5. Historiann on 07 Apr 2010 at 8:35 am #

No kidding, and guess what? Attendance is a lot better, esp. among the grad students, I’m guessing.

I need to start using food and drink as bribes, and to help lubricate intellectual exchange in my own department. It’s how I grew up in my grad department, but I’ve ended up teaching in departments where that wasn’t the tradition and/or there wasn’t the budget. But, it really works!

6. Perpetua on 07 Apr 2010 at 10:08 am #

Free food works – as long as it isn’t university catering! I’m *so* tired of platters of cheddar cheese, stale crackers, half-dead fruit, and cookies.

7. Indyanna on 07 Apr 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Isn’t the menu Perpetua describes what we used to have back in Fluff’ya, Historiann? Whatever. I’m extending your late tour into the cedar stands of Delmarva over the next couple of days, and so far I’ve had a lot more free food than I’ve had to do any work. They get to bat tomorrow, though.

8. JJO on 08 Apr 2010 at 8:45 am #

That actually sounds a bit grand for old-school Philly fare, Indy. Would you care for a stainless steel bowl full of last month’s Doritos?

9. Indyanna on 08 Apr 2010 at 10:57 am #

JJO, you weren’t there (I think) the time they had those little miniaturized hot-dog thingies in some kind of dark viscous, clingy, sauce-based substance! We thought it was all very I guess you’d say existential back in those days.

10. Invasion of the pod people : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 22 Apr 2010 at 7:26 am #

[...] graduate student Justin Carroll made of my talk at the CIC-American Indian Studies Consortium at Michigan State University earlier this month.  (At least you can find out what I sound like, if not what I look like!)  Those of you who are [...]