December
9th 2009
Historiann’s rogue’s gallery: can you name that commenter?

Posted under: fluff

Remember that Mad Men Yourself little game from last summer we had so much fun with?  Well, I thought it would be a great way to play a new game called “name that commenter.”  Here are some Mad Men-ized versions of some of the regular commenters at Historiann.  I’ve met all of these people in person, and some here have been with me from the very beginning of Historiann.com.  Can you guess who is who?  Images after the jump!

commenter1Commenter #1 (I’m not really happy with this one.  The noses and mouths on the Mad Men Yourself website are too limited, and for most people, not really great fits.)

commenter2

Commenter #2:  this one is more accurate, if not a little flattering!

commenter3Commenter #3, who other commenters always think is a woman and not a man.

commenter4Commenter #4 (who doesn’t actually smoke, so far as I know.  I just thought it worked with the look here, which is viva glam!)

commenter5Commenter #5, who enjoys her martinis IRL.

commenter6Commenter #6, who made this Mad Men icon himself.  (Handsome devil!)

madmen_fullbodyamlThanks, everyone!  Happy guessing.  I hope I didn’t pi$$ anyone off too much with these little caricatures–let me know via e-mail if you think one of these might be you, but you don’t want to out yourself on the blog.  If you want to be featured in a post, feel free to make yourself into a Mad Men icon and send it to me in an e-mail!  If I get enough, I’ll do an updated rogue’s gallery post later this week.  (Enjoy the exam week diversions!)

30 Responses to “Historiann’s rogue’s gallery: can you name that commenter?”

1. Another Damned Medievalist on 09 Dec 2009 at 7:56 am #

I would love to think one of those is me …

2. Another Damned Medievalist on 09 Dec 2009 at 7:57 am #

Oh — my guesses: TR is the first one, GayProf the second, and Notorious, PhD the 4th

3. clio's disciple on 09 Dec 2009 at 8:11 am #

I’m going with Notorious as #4 as well. The cigarette is an astute guess, unless she’s quit in the last year.

4. Another Damned Medievalist on 09 Dec 2009 at 8:20 am #

if one *were* me, it would be #5

5. HistoryMaven on 09 Dec 2009 at 8:36 am #

Having one’s Mad Men image on an OAH conference badge would liven up the proceedings. But I guess it’s more appropriate for ASA. Then again….

6. squadratomagico on 09 Dec 2009 at 9:20 am #

I think gayprof is #6. Notorious as #4 makes sense, too.

7. Janice on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:10 am #

Oh, I use one of the Mad Men icons for my departmental IM/board (we’re on Yammer which is pretty cool). There’s not a good hair colour for v. dark brown going grey, mind you, as 60s professional women seemed to have either coloured their hair or gone straight to gun-metal. I’ll make a new one (have to update my hairstyle, anyway) and send it your way. Hee!

8. The History Enthusiast on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:18 am #

I have mine as the avatar on my Twitter profile, and it really does look a lot like me (@hist_enthusiast). The marketing geniuses of Mad Men really have a keeper…whoever came up with this is brilliant!

9. Historiann on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:25 am #

Janice–I found that it’s difficult to deal with the turning-gray hair colors. Most people aren’t all gray or totally white–at least, not for a long time. So while most of my regular commenters are probably somewhere-on-the-way-to-gray, I had to choose either gray or totally gray-free.

I did the best I could!

10. Historiann on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:28 am #

p.s. RE: ADM’s guesses: Tenured Radical is not pictured above, and GayProf is not #2. I didn’t include you this time–would you like to do one of your own, or do you want me to make one for you? (I’ve already received one entry from a commenter I’ve never met before, so I will be doing another rogue’s gallery soon.)

11. Mary on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:42 am #

#3 is Indyanna. I’m not sure about anyone else.

12. Tom on 09 Dec 2009 at 11:06 am #

If we send you our own MadSelves (I feel like I should trademark that, if somebody hasn’t beat me to it), can you get them to show up next to our comments like (I hate to say it) on Facebook posts?

13. Another Damned Medievalist on 09 Dec 2009 at 11:17 am #

Oh — then # 1 might be Janice!

14. Another Damned Medievalist on 09 Dec 2009 at 11:19 am #

Historiann — I have one on facebook, but would love to see how you would put me together!

15. Indyanna on 09 Dec 2009 at 12:42 pm #

I also thought # 3 might of somewhat favored Indyanna, but the orange hair is a dead-Not giveaway. It might of done for the beard when ze still dared to grow one. Also, that sweater’s gogga go, unless it can be made into a turtleneck, rather than a, what do you call those open-front ones?

What’s a…. person gotta do to get a drink put in hir hand around this bar? Just guessin’ on the I.D., though. :)

16. Historiann on 09 Dec 2009 at 12:52 pm #

Hair color choices are very limited! For example, “my” hair color is all wrong. But other choices are even more wrong!

17. Mary on 09 Dec 2009 at 12:54 pm #

You know, the orange hair and sweater through me off too, Indyanna. But I’m basing my guess off of Historiann’s hint…I thought you were a woman until I met you at Berks two summers ago.

18. Historiann on 09 Dec 2009 at 12:54 pm #

Oh, and sorry that some of you don’t have drinks. I was going to crop the images even further, but then it was just too, too much work. . .

19. Knitting Clio on 09 Dec 2009 at 6:19 pm #

I think my Mad Men icon will appear with this reply.

20. Knitting Clio on 09 Dec 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Oops, guess not. Is #6 Gayprof?

21. Notorious Ph.D. on 09 Dec 2009 at 9:31 pm #

I’m guessing 4 for me… but it’s missing the obligatory cup of coffee, which I’m *never* without.

22. Notorious Ph.D. on 09 Dec 2009 at 9:39 pm #

(And sadly, Clio’s Disciple is right… Maybe 2010 will be the year I give up my deadliest vice?)

23. Historiann on 09 Dec 2009 at 10:47 pm #

I totes had no idea you smoke! I put the cigarette in the photo as a joke. (Yes, it’s meant to be you, Notorious.)

24. Susan on 10 Dec 2009 at 12:31 am #

I think I’m #1, but I had #4 pegged as Dr. Crazy, just ‘cuz I haven’t met her. Maybe she’s 5? But what’s with what looks like a mug of coffee instead of something more interesting, like a single malt? Oh, and GayProf as #6.

25. Mother of ALL on 10 Dec 2009 at 7:39 am #

#6 is definitely Frat Guy.

26. Another Damned Medievalist on 10 Dec 2009 at 8:10 am #

Oh, DUH! Susan!

27. JJO on 10 Dec 2009 at 8:26 am #

I think Indyanna is pretty on target, given the limitations of the medium. Sadly, I don’t know anyone else — though I bet one could put together a pretty nice John S. with the options in the program. I celebrated my final class of the semester last night by creating my own, which I’ll send in. There’s probably significantly more body and less hair than the last time I saw Historiann IRL.

28. JJO on 10 Dec 2009 at 8:39 am #

Actually, #2 could be John S., but it’s not close enough that I’m confident of that.

29. Historiann on 10 Dec 2009 at 8:44 am #

Great guesses! #6 is NOT FratGuy–he’s not a regular enough commenter. It’s GayProf! He made his own icon several months ago and posted it on his own blog.

Susan: I tried my best, but yes, #1 is my effort at portraying you. #5 could be Dr. Crazy–but in that case I think I would have put cool glasses on her. (It’s someone else.) JJO knows too much–he’s right. I meant #2 to be John S.

I’ll see about arranging the comments so that people can upload their Mad Men profiles, as Tom has suggested.

30. John S. on 11 Dec 2009 at 2:57 pm #

Hey–I am on a research trip, or else I would have weighed in earlier. I *am* flattered by icon #2. It is especially appropriate given that I have decided, after couple of years, to bring the goatee back.

(And JJO–you’re missing out! Yesterday the Virginia State Library had a big display/sale of southern history books. All the eminents were there, and I looked for your tome. It wasn’t there! You need to get in the gift shop, my friend; it’ll be the perfect way to move copies.)