November
22nd 2009
Sunday moo-orning run

Posted under: fluff, local news

cattlerunAs I was running this morning, I thought to myself:  how strange and unlikely that I now live and work in a location where I am in proximity to more large animals than to small animals.  (I have two small animals myself, but cattle really are a big part of my life these days.  This seems strange, since I work in a Liberal Arts college and not Animal Sciences–strange but not unwelcome.  The big animals I run into (and next to) are penned or fenced, and well under control.  The animals I encounter aren’t part of big agribusiness, but are clearly free-range herds under the care of a small farm.

cattlerun2(Sorry for the craptastic photos–they were taken literally on the run with a cell-phone camera.  I wanted to get one that showed the mountains in the background, but the light and the cattle weren’t cooperating.  Besides the fact of my craptastic cell-phone camera!  But those of you who know me probably know me well enough to know that a new phone or digital camera is not going to be a priority on my Christmas list.)

This is an open thread.  By the way, Emma’s comment on yesterday’s post made Corrente’s “Comment of the Day.”  Check it out!

15 Responses to “Sunday moo-orning run”

1. Indyanna on 22 Nov 2009 at 1:48 pm #

Wow, tha’ cat’s got my brain. There were several things that occurred in the last week that were interesting but not at all germane enough to any post to run the risk of threadnapping. Now comes an open thread and I can’t think of any of them. Anyway, nice pics. Very rural and autumnal, with the hint of retreating snow events. Thanksgiving is a good week to lay up in the countryside (although I’m on the city-side at the moment)and contemplate big animals, as well as small animals.

2. Comrade PhysioProf on 22 Nov 2009 at 2:35 pm #

MOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

3. Annie Em on 22 Nov 2009 at 3:25 pm #

I love the pics (and am no expert photographer myself): what a beautiful run it must being running with cows.

I’m assuming it’s cold enough to mask the smells?

I usually run with, or more precisely, through packs of deer, who glare at me until I get far enough away from them.

But they are better than unleashed dogs.

Gauisus cursor, Ann!

4. Oroboros on 22 Nov 2009 at 3:41 pm #

I need to start running again. It was much easier when I wasn’t in the heart of the city. The need to navigate traffic breaks my cadence.

I spent almost my entire weekend writing. In particular calling out racists on the Denver Post message boards. I feel like I might have left something out of my final analysis that occurs some pieces later. The entire incident did actually lead to contacting my Councilwoman and also the Office of the Independent Monitor. If you read to the end of the thread from where I linked you can see the letter.

I’ve also written a small piece on dealing with trolls in another private forum. I’ll put it on my blog and link if you’re interested.

5. Indyanna on 22 Nov 2009 at 4:58 pm #

If you’ve ever run down a narrow canal towpath through a big flock of territorially-protective Canada Geese, hissing and flapping, that balefully-glaring lead steer in the first picture above will look like Sylvester the Cat. I also once got in between a momma Wild Turkey and her brood and thought I was finished. Fortunately, there was a drainage culvert under the road and Mrs. T. decided to scoot through that instead of through me!

6. Oroboros on 22 Nov 2009 at 6:53 pm #

My anti-troll piece is here.

Obviously, Historiann doesn’t tolerate trolling here, it’s more for the benefit of anyone who has to deal with them on other forums beside this one.

7. Susan on 22 Nov 2009 at 6:54 pm #

My morning walk (of which I often post cell phone photos on FB) has few animals, except ducks, geese, herons on the creek. The funniest thing is that I think I’ve been taking crappy cell phone photographs, but some of my fans want me to have an exhibit of my artistic pix!

8. Homostorian Americanist on 22 Nov 2009 at 8:04 pm #

Oh my, Historiann! Where are you running? This is clearly not our normal route.

9. HistoryMaven on 22 Nov 2009 at 8:28 pm #

Those cattle are plotting revolution. Can’t you tell?

10. Historiann on 22 Nov 2009 at 11:08 pm #

Homostorian Americanist–it’s totes part of our usual run. But in the past few weeks that we’ve been on hiatus, they tore down several houses and created an urban cattle preserve! No joke.

History Maven: do you know cattle? They’re about the last species you’d expect to plot revolution. (After sheep perhaps, which are even dumber, and a lot meaner, IMHO.)

11. Oroboros on 23 Nov 2009 at 12:07 am #

I had to check on Animal Farm for references now.

I first read it while growing up on a farm where I tended two calves and numerous chickens (and a few hogs in the immediate vicinity I had no responsibility for).

I was bored out of my skull and far too young to appreciate much of the politics. But the story was good enough to entertain me at least twice. It might be time to read it again. I think at least one High School or College Course made it required reading, so I understand the political context now.

Animal Farm begins by introducing Mr. Jones, the master of the farm, who is too drunk to shut the popholes in the henhouse. The owner of Manor Farm also forgets to milk the cows, a biologically-serious omission, and is irresponsible toward the rest of his animals. (Later yet, the pigs will also forget the milking, an ironic parallel that reveals the subsequent corruption of the revolution.) One of the cows breaks into the store shed and Mr. Jones and his helpers try to fight off the hungry animals. “A minute later all five of them were in full flight down the cart track that led to the main road, with the animals pursuing them in triumph.” Then, “almost before they knew what was happening, the Rebellion had been successfully carried through – Jones was expelled, and the Manor Farm was theirs.” Yet with the revolution secured, there are graver dangers than the threat of invasion and counter-revolution. The ultimate corruption of the revolution is presaged immediately:

“They raced back to the farm building to wipe out the last traces of Jones’ hated reign… the reins, the halters, the degrading nosebags, were thrown onto the rubbish fire which was burning in the yard. So were the whips.”

Their reaction is understandable, but the desciption of the inevitable and immediate violence foreshadows the fate of the rebellion: reactionary cruelty, the search for the scapegoat, and the perversion of the ideals of the revolution.

12. Oroboros on 23 Nov 2009 at 12:29 am #

And, sorry for another double post, you really need to sit through cows with guns if you haven’t heard it before. No matter how you feel about guns, those are some hard-core puns.

13. Ignatz on 23 Nov 2009 at 10:21 am #

I was at a party with Baa Ram vet students. They loved cows! “So sweet, so gentle, those big eyes.” I guess sheep can be snarky.
    Personally, I think cows are shaped like the United States and they scare me almost as much as my beloved country does sometimes.

14. Indyanna on 23 Nov 2009 at 11:33 am #

Assuming these former houses are not bungalows, but rather McMansions, or even starter mansions, tearing them down so the herd can roam strikes me as being change we can live with. This isn’t some ConAgra p.r. outreach program, is it?

Speaking of visible and invisible mountain backdrops, I saw _Wonderful Life_ the other evening in a mothballed Art Deco theatre not a hundred yards from where Jimbo (Stewart) grew up, and it’s *way* different on the big gray screen than the dozens of times I’ve seen it on TV. In the scene where they go out to “Bailey Acres” to see the new affordable housing start-up that Mr. Potter wants to landfill, in the background you can see mountainsides that have to be the San Gabriels. Did they film that thing at the Huntington Library, and only pretend it was Back East?

15. Historiann on 23 Nov 2009 at 11:38 am #

Could be, Indyanna–as everyone in Cali says, Easterners always love Pasadena!