November
16th 2009
Walkin’ in an autumn wonderland

Posted under: fluff, local news

autumnwonderland2I didn’t even bother posting photos or commenting on our pre-Halloween freak snowstorm of October 28-29 that left 8-10 inches of snow on the ground in my neighborhood.  Well, here’s evidence of our second “freak” snowstorm this past weekend, another 8 inches or so.  Wild!

I always have to reassure people who hear that I live in Colorado that we don’t wear boots, polarfleece, and parkas all year ’round in the Denver metro area, and that the vast, vast majority of the snow falls in the mountains.  Maybe I should live here longer before I am so quick to contradict these ideas.  (We moved here in the middle of some serious drought years, which meant that summers were unusually warm and the winters relatively dry and snow-free.)

autumnwonderland1The truth is that although I don’t ski, I like the snow.  Even in the middle of winter, it melts off pretty quickly because of our altitude (sunshine + aridity = no frozen goop on the streets as in Chicago or Cleveland).  I like the quiet it brings.  I’ve seen foxes trotting up the street, bold as brass, in the orange glow of our streetlights on snowy nights.  (They’re bold, but they flinch when they see me stand up and move the shades to get a better look at them.)  I like watching the snow fall and hoping for a snow day in the morning.  I even mostly like shoveling the snow off of my driveway and front walk–in October and November, maybe.

By April, it gets to be a bore.  And the schmutz that gets tracked up the back steps and into the house whenever it snows–I could live without it.

7 Responses to “Walkin’ in an autumn wonderland”

1. Susan on 16 Nov 2009 at 1:51 pm #

It’s very pretty. Where I live now, there is no snow. But I love the quiet after the snow, and hate hate hate snowblowers which shatter it.

2. Bavardess on 16 Nov 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Lovely pics. These days, I need to travel to get my snow fix so I’m jealous of anyone living in places where it snows.

3. Mother of ALL on 16 Nov 2009 at 3:01 pm #

The first snow of the year here is beautiful, especially so when it falls in the early evening. We just like to turn off the lights and watch it cover the ground and hopefully, iced up lake. After that it’s not quite so gorgeous.

4. Geoff on 16 Nov 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Some winters are mild here in Potterville, and others have a couple months when the mercury barely breaks freezing (lookin’ at you, 2007-08).

5. Indyanna on 16 Nov 2009 at 11:13 pm #

Great Storm! I guess you’re not in Kansas anymore. (Literally. I was just brushing up on the Kansas-Nebraska Act, and I see by a map that there was a projected version of “Groote Kansas” that would have extended clear out to about where Estes Park is now). Anyway, enjoy…

6. Katherine on 17 Nov 2009 at 6:16 am #

I’m so jealous! I love snow and winter too, we have less and less of it now in the NE. I remember big snows as a kid, but not so much as a grownup. Mostly ice and ick.

7. Paul on 17 Nov 2009 at 10:54 am #

One of my younger brothers lives in Colorado Springs and he was telling me about the two snowfalls that they have had so far. He emphasizes that the biggest difference between there and Massachusetts isn’t even the temperatures (although the winter lows are often substantially lower), but rather the dryness.