September
25th 2009
Saddled up & ridin’ out today, yee-haw!

Posted under: Uncategorized

cowgirlhitchsaddleboulderI’m off to the FREAC again–the Front Range Early American Consortium.  It’s local this year, so I’m riding my horse Seminar up to the Flatirons for our meeting in Boulder.  Have a great weekend, friends, and be good to your horses.

In the meantime:  did you see the story about the man on the dole who stumbled upon “one of the most important [discoveries] in British archaeological history” in Staffordshire?  Awesome!  What will his friends in the Bloxwich Research and Metal Detecting Club have to say about this?  What do you dream of unearthing from a field, or stumbling upon in an old farmhouse attic?

11 Responses to “Saddled up & ridin’ out today, yee-haw!”

1. Tom on 25 Sep 2009 at 12:32 pm #

Still looking for that undiscovered manuscript, Historiann! Have a deep-fried Monte Cristo sandwich at the Walnut Brewery for me. And hit those Boulder bookstores and find me that manuscript–I think I still have some trade credit at Red Letter.

The Anglo-Saxonists are abuzz about the Staffordshire find, BTW.

2. Historiann on 25 Sep 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Tom–tell me more! I figured that you of all people would be excited about this. (Well, and Another Damned Medievalist, too.)

3. squadratomagico on 25 Sep 2009 at 5:03 pm #

The hoard is pretty unbelievable!

What do I dream of finding in an attic? I think I’d have to go with a cache of vintage Balenciaga dresses — my size, of course!

4. Susan on 25 Sep 2009 at 6:19 pm #

A time machine…

5. Comrade PhysioProf on 25 Sep 2009 at 7:59 pm #

Front Range Early American Consortium

I have no idea what the fuck that is, but I hope there will be DRINKING!

6. Clio Bluestocking on 26 Sep 2009 at 7:42 am #

I would give anything to find “The Secret Diary of Anna Murray Douglass.”

Have fun at the Consortium!

7. GayProf on 26 Sep 2009 at 8:25 am #

I just wanted more gay sex in my historical documents. . .

Have fun!

8. Digger on 26 Sep 2009 at 2:07 pm #

The hoard in the UK is very VERY cool. I’m looking forward to the reports, but spent more-time-than-I-should-have yesterday ogling the images. They were very quick to get photos up; most haven’t been properly cleaned yet!

Enjoy the meeting!

9. Indyanna on 26 Sep 2009 at 6:20 pm #

I’m hoping Historiann brings me back a horse from the FREACs. Somethin’ in an Old Paint layout. If ze was related to Seminar, I could call hir “Colloquium!”

10. Great art and great ideas, rediscovered : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 27 Sep 2009 at 7:22 am #

[...] Speaking of finding stuff in attics and digging up hoards of Anglo-Saxon treasure, Volunteer Park Ranger Doug Leen (day job, dentist) has worked for decades to track down vintage posters of U.S. National Parks and have them reproduced.  Here’s how he got started: During the fall of 1972 or 1973 in the Tetons, which was my second or third season there. Every year we’d have a cleanup day and every ranger would work on cleaning up after the summer season. My boss called and we commenced to clear out the old horse stalls at Beaver Creek, which were full of stuff laced with cobwebs.  [...]

11. Historiann on 27 Sep 2009 at 7:30 am #

The FREAC was a great time, friends–new faces, old friends, and a level of intellectual engagement that puts most conference sessions to shame. (I think this is probably because of the fact that it’s a regular date on most of our calendars–we know each other, and care about each other, so we’re probably more consciencious about being good colleagues.)

A session I self-indulgently organized on biography in early American history was a lot of fun–Eric Hinderaker talked about his new book, The Two Hendricks: Unraveling a Mohawk Mystery (Harvard, forthcoming); Jenny Pulsipher talked about her work on John Wompus, a 17th C Nipmuc man who left a relatively big footprint in the archives; and John Smolenski talked about his interest in Nassau, Landon Carter’s ‘body man.’ Some of our older colleagues talked about how interesting it is to see biographies of previously unknown people–they said, “in the past, no one would ever have thought to write a biography of an unknown person.” All very smart stuff, and fun to talk about!