May
20th 2009
Sure wish I could be a California girl…

Posted under: American history, conferences

cowgirlbikiniHowdy, friends!  I turned in my last few grades yesterday, so I’m on a little early summer trip to the Golden State for a little R & R (“Research and wRitin’,” that is), and a conference later this week..  I’ll be checking in occasionally but otherwise am trying to stay mostly off-line and outdoors as much as I can for the next few days.

What are your plans for summer?

16 Responses to “Sure wish I could be a California girl…”

1. GayProf on 20 May 2009 at 12:19 pm #

My plans for the summer are to work, work, work and slave, slave, slave.

Safe travels, HistoriAnn!

2. clio's disciple on 20 May 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Trying to get an article out the door by the end of the month so I can concentrate on house-buying, moving, and getting ready to start my new job.

3. John S. on 20 May 2009 at 1:16 pm #

1) Preparing my tenure file for my dept to vote on me in the fall.
    2) Trying not to go nuts.

4. ortho stice on 20 May 2009 at 3:57 pm #

Historiann, I hope you have a safe trip to California and a wonderful Conference.

My summer plans are rather dull: research trips to NYC and Philadelphia, and a conference in Springfield, IL.

I wish everyone a super summer.

5. Susan on 20 May 2009 at 4:58 pm #

In twelve days, I leave for two months in England — finishing an article, starting a new project, and preparing for next year’s classes.

Enjoy the California sun, and the conference. And research :)

6. Janice on 20 May 2009 at 5:06 pm #

I’ll be wrangling more contributors for the Encyclopedia of Elizabethan England (know any early modern specialists in history, literature or religious studies?). I’ll also be writing at least a thousand words a day on that for my own share.

Otherwise, I have two short articles to write for a popular history collection and I am hoping to get some time to work on my “A Canadian Viking in the Governor-General’s Court” research, turning the conference papers on nineteenth century squabbles over the North American site of Vinland into a full-fledged article.

Oh, and a bit of course prep, particularly for my new senior seminar on Gender in Early Modern Europe. Whee! There’s also one week of family vacation planned for mid-July — taking the girls to coastal SC to meet up with my father and sister.

Yup, we’re fully booked up here!

7. Lance on 20 May 2009 at 5:54 pm #

Preparing a promotion file, plus two weeks in southern France, a week in Arizona, lots of writing, blah, blah, blah, a sailor’s life for me.

Great conference, Historiann!

8. Clio Bluestocking on 20 May 2009 at 6:29 pm #

Work, work, work, since I’m the only faculty member who has had the training to teach online and there are four online section. That means that I will probably also develop a drinking problem.

Have fun in California. Sounds like a fascinating conference!

9. Indyanna on 20 May 2009 at 7:47 pm #

The Big Three: research, wRitin, trying not to go nuts. A tributory conference for a mentor, a trip out West of my own, and a couple of summer seminars. That/s about it.

Watch out for the mudslides, hilltop grass fires, 3.4 aftershocks, and don/t start any stampedes, Historiann. Then return to the highcountry summer pasture soon.

Ortho, I asked your question from last year about the pissing dogs of Revolutionary British print culture at a seminar last week. The presenter had displayed an image of one of the pups, but, probably sensibly, ze wasn/t about to get dragged into that one. I had to give it a shot, though.

10. quixote on 20 May 2009 at 9:07 pm #

I live ten minutes from the ocean in sunny SoCal. Toot your horn and I’ll wave as you go by!

11. Sisyphus on 20 May 2009 at 11:06 pm #

Have fun out here in California! Don’t let yourself catch on fire or all shook up! (and _do_ get outside to the gardens —esp the lake and the desert plants section — I love that place!)

12. squadratomagico on 21 May 2009 at 8:56 am #

I’ll be leaving for a week in Berlin in about a month, followed by two weeks in London. Then it’s home to write: no circus shows between June and November. And I have the Fall off ~ yay!

13. Tenured Radical on 21 May 2009 at 9:02 am #

Well, I woke up this morning and it turned out a mss. that has gone unfinished since the Unfortunate Events had finally grown a head, arms and legs and was getting to walk right out the door unless I buckled down and finished ‘er up. So that’s where I’m at, sister.

14. brian on 21 May 2009 at 1:48 pm #

Have fun at the conference! Looks like an impressive program.

15. Kathie on 21 May 2009 at 3:00 pm #

Welcome to Southern California! You should visit the new Chinese gardens at the Huntington – actually there are a lot of new sections in the gardens (a conservatory, a wonderful children’s space) and revamped art galleries, so if you haven’t been in a couple of years, try to find time to have a look around and enjoy.

16. Jeremy Young on 21 May 2009 at 3:56 pm #

GayProf and I have the same plans — who knew?