April
10th 2009
Academic folks should stick together, academic folks should all be pals

Posted under: Uncategorized

Oh, the author and the reviewer should be friends. . . the student and the teacher should be friends. . . sing it with me now, everyone: there’s no reason why we can’t be friends!

It’s a beautiful morning here–we’re saddled and ready to ride on out. Here’s hoping that everything’s going your way.

7 Responses to “Academic folks should stick together, academic folks should all be pals”

1. Indyanna on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:15 am #

But, after that sorry sodbuster rim-rocked my steers, what’s there left to talk about!?!

Thanks, Historiann, for that musical pick-me-up on this dank Appalachian morning. ‘Specially if you click on the sidebar tunes with the second clip. So youse’r-all heading over to Okie City today, or maybe even Anadarka? Ride on!

2. Historiann on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:35 am #

Naw, just up to Fort Collins to wrangle a few wayward steers–I mean students. Next week I’ll post photos of the “Stock Judging Pavillion” here at Baa Ram U., which is right across from my parking lot and behind the Lib Arts College. It’s getting towards the end of the semester, so there are actual livestock in the pens this month!

3. New Kid on the Hallway on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:44 am #

Memorably, I went to my cousin’s daughter’s school pageant (Countries of the World!!) in which one grade, representing the US, sang (in relevant costume) “The Indian and the Cowboy Should Be Friends.” Not sure if it was a takeoff of the Oklahoma song, but that’s what this reminded me of (and I can’t actually find an original anywhere on google, so now I’m thinking someone had the music and threw together the words so they could have something “American”?). It was…interesting. (I should add that this was in a foreign country, if that makes any difference.)

4. Susan on 10 Apr 2009 at 11:34 am #

Oh, they have moved the cattle to a field right next to campus, and they are grazing there now. I assume they will move them away before Michelle Obama comes to speak…

5. Historiann on 10 Apr 2009 at 11:51 am #

Susan–M.O. is into organic gardening now, so I presume that she might have a strong interest in promoting natural meat farming, too! Why should our aggies clean up and try to look like Ivies or Stanford, anyway? I say put the free range back in “land grant” institutions!

New Kid: well, isn’t that an interesting revision of American history! Maybe it’s something that could *only* be performed outside of the U.S.?

6. Judith on 10 Apr 2009 at 8:34 pm #

Ha!! The Quire, an LGBT mixed chorus with which I sing, did the “territory folks” song complete with square dance for our “Cowbaret” in the spring. Someone took a video, though it’s silent. You can hum to yourself with your own words:

(I’m in the green plaid. It was fun, but the bit at the end where our feet leave the ground was slightly terrifying.)

7. Indyanna on 11 Apr 2009 at 11:23 am #

Think I’ll drive my herd (what’s left of it after that wire-stringing seed planter from Salina got done with it) up to Fort C. to try to pick up a little hardware, or at least unload some prime beef… Best of the weekend to one and all. Most of our students seem convinced that Monday is a federal holiday. And, with the semester unspooling toward its end the way it is, nobody seems to inclined to quibble about it just now.