March
26th 2009
OAH or Bust!

Posted under: American history, conferences

oahorbustHi all–Historiann here, coming at you from weakly sunny downtown Seattle, because the Organization of American Historians’ Annual Conference starts in a few hours.  Pull up a chair and have a cup of coffee!  Only, I won’t be here long to pour–I’ve got meetings, meet-ups, and fun planned all week, so posting will probably be light since I  have the opportunity to meet and talk to historians in Real Life and not on-blog.  I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing here, since I feel less like an American historian every day–and this is very much a modern (and even recent) U.S. History conference.  It seems like the OAH is getting with the transnational program, since the theme this year is “History Without Boundaries.”  Don’t fence me in, babies!

As for Seattle:  I visited a few times in the mid- to late-90s, back when it was the cool place to be, and had an epic hiking and camping trip on the Olympic Peninsula back in the day.  But–Kurt Cobain’s been dead for nearly fifteen years now.  Oh well–whatever.  Nevermind.

16 Responses to “OAH or Bust!”

1. Historiann on 26 Mar 2009 at 9:26 am #

p.s. to my readers in Colorado–how’s the weather down there? A woman on my shuttle bus yesterday said that the forecast was for 8-16 inches of snow today!

2. GayProf on 26 Mar 2009 at 9:48 am #

Enjoy the conference!

3. ej on 26 Mar 2009 at 9:58 am #

You’re missing our biggest snowstorm of the year-its glorious. Schools are canceled, the roads are deserted. and kids are making snowmen down the street.

Its like found time!

Enjoy Seattle.

4. Historiann on 26 Mar 2009 at 10:02 am #

Oh, man! I hope it sticks around long enough to screw up your teaching day tomorrow, ej. (Homostorian Americanist must be livin’ large today)

5. mary on 26 Mar 2009 at 11:48 am #

An update from Historiann’s Baa Ram U. All classes suspended at noon today because of weather.

6. squadratomagico on 26 Mar 2009 at 1:09 pm #

Here’s a thought: http://www.circuscontraption.com/

7. Notorious Ph.D. on 26 Mar 2009 at 3:27 pm #

My home (Puddletown) is not far from Seattle. I miss the rain, and the gray skies. Too bad you and the gang aren’t there long enough to go hiking in the Cascades!

8. Indyanna on 26 Mar 2009 at 3:58 pm #

Have a good one. Coldest winter I ever spent was the Saturday afternoon of AHA weekend there years back, hiking up past the Space Needle to Queen Anne Hill, after what turned out to be a very successful interviewing day. And I missed what turned out to be the only huge snowstorm in Chicago that winter, which I greatly regretted.

9. Geoff on 26 Mar 2009 at 4:59 pm #

Four hour drive from Boulder to Greeley earlier today (typically 1 hour and change).

10. ortho stice on 26 Mar 2009 at 7:21 pm #

Have fun in Seattle, Historiann! I hope the weather for the OAH in Seattle is better than the weather here at ASECS in Richmond. It’s so cold, gloomy, and rainy.

11. Susan on 26 Mar 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Have a good time with RL historians, Historiann. I’ve made my way east (no reason) where it is wet.

12. Rad Readr on 26 Mar 2009 at 9:58 pm #

Wish I could be there…say hi to my dean.

13. Hotshot Harry on 27 Mar 2009 at 4:54 am #

Since I can’t be there, I expect some snappy reportage, Historiann. I’ll rock some flannel this weekend in your honor.

I agree, btw, with your take on the OAH, which probably explains why I’ve only attended one in my career.

Enjoy the fish.

Oh, and it will be 65 and sunny here today–nice enough for a long walk with Hotshot Harry, Jr.

14. Mikail on 27 Mar 2009 at 5:39 am #

As a Seattleite who lives, quite literally, four blocks from downtown I welcome you, Historiann. As Seattleites surround you in our carefully planned cliches of flannel, coffee, and grunge we can’t get enough of, we ask that you just don’t rangle us up in your Colorodan cowboy gear. Lassos, after all, give rope burn and as city clickers we don’t take kindly to cowboy hate wearin’ folks.

15. Vance Maverick on 28 Mar 2009 at 3:46 pm #

What, nobody’s going to comment on your spaceless spelling of Nevermind?

16. Historiann on 29 Mar 2009 at 7:18 pm #

Vance, as you know: Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle! Mikail–I had a great time in your town, except for the Norovirus (see today’s post.)

Rad–I saw one of your deans–see today’s post, too.