March
17th 2009
Tuesday roundup: Pure marshmallow fluff, but we like it! edition

Posted under: American history, art, Dolls, European history, fluff, happy endings, students, women's history

The National Museum of the American Peep

The National Museum of the American Peep

Easter is so late this year and we’ve got several more weeks until we can cuddle fluffy baby bunnies and chicks, so check out these shiny, happy news tidbits:

• Clio Bluestocking has created the Peep show di tutti Peep Shows:  “The National Museum of the American Peep” features her incredible energy, creativity, and artistry on display.  Don’t miss it!  Be sure to click through all of the photos here.
  • Feeling blue?  You won’t after you read this story and watch this video of The Compliment Guys at Purdue University (via Inside Higher Ed.)  Awwwww-don’t you just want to join a big group hug now?
  • Part III of the conversation about Judith Bennett’s History Matters is just getting started at Tenured Radical–come on over and join the fun.
  • And now, the best news of all:  Notorious, Ph.D., Girl Scholar and Dr. Crazy at Reassigned Time have been awarded tenure and promotion!  Yes, my pretties:  our cowgirlropeMarxist feminist takeover of higher education is nearly complete!  I’ll be giving you your final instructions soon–you’ll know it’s me when I ring twice, hang up, ring twice again, hang up again, and ring a third time because I can’t figure out this damned text messaging business.  IF U CN READ THS U R DAVID HOROWITZ.  C U L8TR, H8TR!
  • Leave your good news in the thread below.  Fellowships?  Scholarships?  Sabbaticals?  Articles and/or books accepted for publication?  Negative medical test results?  Big tax refund?  Etc.  Sing it!

13 Responses to “Tuesday roundup: Pure marshmallow fluff, but we like it! edition”

1. Clio Bluestocking on 17 Mar 2009 at 8:51 am #

I thought the secret signal was a phone call with a voice on the other end that asks to play a game of solitaire. Now I have to update all of my minions.

Congradulations on tenures and promotions!

Thank you for the link and the picture, and your interpretation of my abilities. I see it more as a testament to my mad procrastination skillz.

2. Historiann on 17 Mar 2009 at 8:57 am #

Hey, Clio B., mad skillz is mad skillz. I have never in my life thought to myself–”I don’t want to grade this stack of papers/write this book chapter/etc., so I’m going to make a marshmallow peep diorama referencing 5 of the Smithsonian Institution museums!” It’s such a creative and energetic way to procrastinate!

3. Belle on 17 Mar 2009 at 9:04 am #

Hey, put me on that phone tree! How did I not know it existed? The Marxist feminist take-over conspiracy to take over the world… er, Higher Ed… left me out!

4. Historiann on 17 Mar 2009 at 9:08 am #

Oh, you’re on my list…you’re ALL on my list!

5. Susan on 17 Mar 2009 at 11:35 am #

So THAT is what those mysterious phone calls were! I await my orders. In the meantime, there is work to be done.

6. Indyanna on 17 Mar 2009 at 11:41 am #

Congrats to all…

7. Another Damned Medievalist on 17 Mar 2009 at 3:26 pm #

Unofficially, I have good news. Officially, I’m waiting till I get paper confirmation! Nobody jinx it, please!

8. K.N. on 17 Mar 2009 at 5:24 pm #

Congrats to one and all.

Not to be a wet blanket, Historiann, but Easter this year actually leans a bit on the later side. For western Christian churches, the earliest it can be is March 22 and the latest is April 25. It’s always the first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon (currently designated as the first full moon after March 20).

I guess I win the geek award for this week….

9. ej on 17 Mar 2009 at 7:01 pm #

K.N.-don’t be modest. When it comes to such matters, you win the geek award every week!

10. ortho stice on 17 Mar 2009 at 8:33 pm #

Congratulations Notorious PhD & Dr. Crazy!

Historiann, thanks for linking to the Compliment Guys! They’re hilarious and made me smile. I wish Concrete University had a couple of students who gave compliments like it’s their job.

11. Baudrillard's Bastard on 18 Mar 2009 at 6:06 am #

hi, thanks for visiting!…

12. cgeye on 18 Mar 2009 at 5:32 pm #

My teacher gave me an A for my writing. And I finally think it’s good enough to let others read.

13. Historiann on 18 Mar 2009 at 7:20 pm #

Congratulations, cgeye! That’s big–I think all writers are apprehensive about subjecting their work to anyone else, let alone outside of the teacher-student relationship.