November
5th 2008
Au revoir, les enfants de la patrie

Posted under: conferences, O Canada, women's history

I’m leaving the country–and rest assured, it has nothing to do with the election results!  I’m slipping over the border on a top-secret mission to a walled city in l’Amerique Septentrionale, and will return this weekend.  Play nice.  No gloating if your candidates won, and no whining if your candidates lost.  (Well, not too much, anyway.)  Nous sommes tous Americains Septentrionales!

9 Responses to “Au revoir, les enfants de la patrie”

1. ortho stice on 05 Nov 2008 at 6:14 am #

Historiann, I hope the conference goes well and the weather stays warm.

2. GayProf on 05 Nov 2008 at 8:33 am #

Safe travels, HistoriAnn!

3. Tom on 05 Nov 2008 at 9:28 am #

Bon voyage, Historiann. C’est Washington, DC, pour moi et pour ej, ce weekend! Pardonnez-moi le Franglais!

4. Historiann on 05 Nov 2008 at 10:00 am #

Bon voyage yourself, Tom–I just spoke to ej (she was at DIA a few hours ahead of me.) I hope you have a good time–she really needs a break, as you may well know!

5. Indyanna on 05 Nov 2008 at 10:40 am #

“Goin’ to Canada” the day after an election used to be a sign of almost-biblical significance and simplicity that something had gone disastrously wrong. How nice to do it after something went deliciously right. Have a good one, and bring us back a plate of cookies, Historiann!

6. roger on 06 Nov 2008 at 7:49 am #

You leave the country and a president resigns.

7. Historiann on 06 Nov 2008 at 2:27 pm #

I know–I was hoping that no one would notice so that I could slip away without anyone speculating on my involvement! Historiann is a woman of great mystery, and now–a suggestion of scandal!

I guess the cat is out of the bag, now. Darn you, Roger!

8. roger on 07 Nov 2008 at 7:59 am #

It may get worse.

9. Indyanna on 07 Nov 2008 at 9:31 am #

That’s some seriously serious “Walkin’ around Money,” as we call it in South Philly. Not Bowl Championship Series coach-level walkin’ around money, to be sure, but pretty good for the technocratic class. How does this severance deal correlate with the thought in the Post that the designated successor will need to understand the West’s “culture of frugality?” It’s funny how up to a certain level of institutional structure, leaving to “pursue other opportunities” is automatically seen to be a polite cover for an ouster. Above that, you’re supposed to think I guess the guy is sorting through some actual options. I guess we’ll hear more about this.