August
20th 2008
Shabattical Shalom, or, Season’s Meetings!

Posted under: happy endings, jobs

Well, it’s all over.  My first, and much-anticipated sabbatical, the one I had to wait for for ten years.  Classes don’t start until Monday, but the meetings start today, so I’d say my sabbatical is over.

Oddly, I don’t feel depressed about it.  The thought of teaching again seems kind of appealing, and it will be good to see my colleagues on a more regular basis.  (Imagine–I actually like my colleagues!  Well, most of them, and you know what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder…)  I got a lot done last year on my new book, in spite of doing way more work for the Berkshire Conference than I thought I’d be doing.  It was nice sleeping in until 6:30 a.m. and being able to work at home.  Although I was probably better rested and less stressed out, since I didn’t have to wake up at 4 or 5 a.m. to meet a manuscript deadline or finish my class prep, as a naturally happy and optimistic person I wasn’t any happier on a day-to-day basis.  (And I would imagine that people who have a much lower happiness setpoint won’t become happy people while on sabbatical.)

Sorry–gotta run.  I’ve got a meeting to get to!

7 Responses to “Shabattical Shalom, or, Season’s Meetings!”

1. Indyanna on 20 Aug 2008 at 11:34 am #

Thanks for keeping the blog going during your sabbatical, Historiann. I just checked out my new schedule, and wouldn’t you know (just like back in the Spring) this blog is the only AP course I was able to get into. I may even have to recalibrate my generally negative position on distance ed! Looking forward to seeing that book, too.

2. Mother of ALL on 20 Aug 2008 at 8:00 pm #

Isn’t that the Queen Mum and the current QE? I love your pictures. Oh, and by the way, have a great year. I, too, am looking forward to that book.

3. Historiann on 20 Aug 2008 at 8:10 pm #

Good guess, Mother of ALL–it’s the late Queen mother and Princess Margaret, waving good-bye to the Queen!

4. Notorious Ph.D. on 21 Aug 2008 at 9:23 am #

Oh, I’m right there with you. Yesterday, I started arranging my office. Today, it’s the big chore: I start going through the piles of files. Gah.

But two days ago, I met with my new grad student. So I’m back. For real.

5. ortho stice on 21 Aug 2008 at 10:38 am #

Hi Historiann,

Good luck adjusting to your new schedule. I hope, despite all of your new responsibilities, you will continue to update historiann.com on a daily basis.

Best wishes,
    Ortho

6. Rad Readr on 21 Aug 2008 at 11:28 am #

This is that time of the year when I love the quarter system — but just think how much fun you folks have in late May and early June!

7. Historiann on 21 Aug 2008 at 1:39 pm #

Rad, I’ll ask the monkey to whip you up a Pisco Sour, too. I’ll do my best with keeping Historiann current, but at some point Historiann has to be a historian in RL too and not just on the world-wide timewasting non-peer reviewed web.

And Notorious: good luck with re-entry. I hope it’s not too painful for you!