August
8th 2008
Noted without comment

Posted under: American history, weirdness

“‘Our goal is to see a crowd of 75,000 people at [Barack] Obama’s nomination speech holding their hands above their heads, fingers laced together in support of a new direction for this country, a renewed hope, and acceptance of responsibility for our future,’ says Rick Husong, owner of The Loyalty Inc.,” a Los Angeles “creative agency,” according to Washington Whispers.  Please note–The Loyalty Inc. produced the image above and is pushing this new “salute” independent of the Obama campaign, and if the Obama campaign is smart, they’ll stay away from it.

Put your hands in the air and make a big zero!  There’s absolutely nothing creepy or cultish at all about “a movement where even while walking down the street, people would hold up the O and you would know that they were for Obama.”  How could Republicans possibly mock that?  As they used to say in Scooby-Doo cartoons, it’s so crazy, it just might work!  (Historiann wonders:  is The Loyalty Inc., with its clumsy, Orwellian name, a Republican plant?  I’m just sayin’…)

11 Responses to “Noted without comment”

1. Roxie on 08 Aug 2008 at 11:12 am #

Hey, great minds do think alike! Or, perhaps it’s that new auto-blog feature we’ve had installed in our brains as a way of surviving the presidential campaign. I hope the silly post we tossed up over at my place makes it clear that we don’t think this idea is being promoted by the Obama campaign. As we’ve noted in the past, though, one way in which the Precious undeniably resembles Jesus Christ is in the obnoxiousness of some of his more devoted followers. Still, this is just loony enough that it might actually be a joke or a GOP front.

2. Historiann on 08 Aug 2008 at 12:00 pm #

Yes–I wonder if there are Obama supporters who think this is a good idea? Probably some–but let’s hope that the wiser among them will set them straight. (Your post was clear on the ownership of this scheme–I just wanted to emphasize it, because I myself leapt to a wrong conclusion when I first read about the “movement” at Washington Whispers.)

3. Clio Bluestocking on 08 Aug 2008 at 2:30 pm #

This thing — if it is, in fact, real — is silly. The comments in that link, however, are frightening.

4. Indyanna on 08 Aug 2008 at 9:10 pm #

That is a little, um, weird….

5. prof bw on 09 Aug 2008 at 1:35 am #

I think this is part of McCain’s new “Messiah” ads. He has a new ad taking Obama quotes completely out of context (including one where he is making phone of the idea that he is Messianic) and interspersing them with Charlton Heston’s Moses. The O thing seems to fit right in to that narrative.

6. prof bw on 09 Aug 2008 at 1:35 am #

that should be “fun” not “phone” sorry.

7. Delilah on 09 Aug 2008 at 5:45 am #

I live on Capitol Hill, and I’ve officially started my “O Sign Of Progress” watch.

So far, no sightings.

8. Historiann on 09 Aug 2008 at 7:52 am #

Keep us posted, Delilah! And the rest of you around the country. I’m heading out to the farmer’s market in my town–maybe I’ll randomly make the “O” sign over my head while I’m shopping, and see how people respond!

9. ortho stice on 11 Aug 2008 at 10:01 am #

Historiann, the “0-Sign” is a wonderful, fun idea. I love it and will be making it everywhere!

You and your blog are brilliant. I nominated you for an award!

10. Fratguy on 11 Aug 2008 at 12:49 pm #

In the deep recesses of my longterm memory I am recalling a scene from an otherwise forgettable film. When asked if a particular guy was an a$$hole, Charles Bronson (or Steve McQueen or a similar actor from the 70′s) puts his thumab and fingers into a circle and quietly replies “Oh yeah, big a$$hole”. The movie was probably not enough of a hit for the gesture to catch on, but I can certainly see it being reinvented.

11. Susie from Philly on 12 Aug 2008 at 9:51 am #

I thought this was the universal sign for “asshole.”