May
14th 2008
Intersex crossing

Posted under: art, Berkshire Conference, Bodily modification, childhood, Gender, local news

Date:  May 13, 2008

Time:  4:25 p.m.

Place:  Potterville, Colorado; corner of Mystreet and Oneblocknorth.

Found:  Intersex crossing sign.

(I know some jackass teenager did this with a Sharpie–but I’m choosing to read it as a comment on our restrictive and distorting gender binary and compulsory heterosexuality.  And, it’s the most interesting vandalism that I’ve ever seen in this town!)

At the 2008 Berkshire Conference on the History of Women next month, we’ve got a great panel that brings together disability studies, queer theory, and the history of sexuality in really innovative ways.  “How Do They Do It?:  Sexual Representations of Conjoined Twins in U.S. Culture” features Ellen Samuels on “Entertaining Millie and Christine McCoy:  Where Enslavement and Enfreakment Meet,” Alison Kafter on “Fabulist Past, Fabulist Future But no Queer Presence:  Desiring Disability in Sheila Jackson’s Half-Life,” and Cynthia Wu on “The Queer Pleasures and Frustrations of Chang and Eng’s Autopsy,” chaired by Ruth Alexander and with a comment by Catherine Kudlick.  Check out our program here!

8 Responses to “Intersex crossing”

1. ortho stice on 14 May 2008 at 7:28 am #

Hi Historiann! Thank you for posting this great photo. Despite being unconvincing, your analysis is interesting. It reminds me of the cultural analysis that I write — unconvincing, yet interesting.

Will you please stop plugging the Berkshire Conference? :) Since I can’t go, reading about all the great panels make me sad. Do you think it will be possible to videotape some of the panels, and then post the videos to your blog?

2. Historiann on 14 May 2008 at 8:53 am #

Ortho–sorry! One of the raisons d’etre of this blog was originally to promote the conference I and many others have worked so hard to put together. I’m sorry if it’s bothersome for you to read about all of the incredibly cool things that will be happening, but you could consider this a prompt to put together a proposal for the 2011 conference! I’ll hope to see you there, anyway.

3. Indyanna on 14 May 2008 at 12:18 pm #

This might be the aptest place to report that while cleaning out my mailbox at the McNeil Ctr. this morning, after a semester of cross-state neglect, in addition to a small stack of lapsed seminar papers already read online, I found an announcement of an April seminar on “Dildoes and the American Crisis, 1760-1776″ or some such title. The blurb told the story of yet another economic hardship for colonial artisans, as a flood of cheap metropolitan imports drove them from a niche in the toy market, before they figured out some mercantilistic way to fight back. I was agog at the cultural creativity of the new fellows, until it dawned that the lack of an actual paper with the announcement plus the supposed April 1 date of the event (a Tuesday) were probably the key signs. This left me no less agog at the creativity of the new fellows.

All of this is prefatory to saying that as Ortho is on this thread, my undergraduates were intrigued by the pissing dogs post, but besides grinding out a few earnest extra credit points by addressing it, they did not come up with much. Their Whiggism led them to think that pissing on the ear of a British lion was doubtless normative in those years, but they were not prepared to believe that any dog would have pissed on a map of America. On this last image, they request a re-count, or I guess a re-read. The project still sounds fascinating, and John Murrin suggests Hogarth as a possible rosetta stone.

4. ortho stice on 14 May 2008 at 10:01 pm #

Indyanna, thanks for passing Professor Murrin’s suggestion along. This summer, in between my dissertation research and writing, I will pursue Hogarth and the pissing dogs.

5. Intersex Crossing Sign « mirabile dictu on 20 May 2008 at 2:32 am #

[...] via Historiann [...]

6. Curtis E. Hinkle on 21 Sep 2008 at 8:00 pm #

I am writing on behalf of the Organisation Intersex International to add a link to OII, the largest grassroots intersex organisation in the world. ISNA is now defunct.

Our link is

Kind regards,
    Curtis E. Hinkle
    Founder, Organisation Intersex International

7. Historiann on 21 Sep 2008 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks for stopping by to let us know, Curtis. Cheers!

8. Side affects of meridia. on 08 Jun 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Meridia….

Discount meridia. Meridia coupon….