March
21st 2008
Three fab dresses and one bad haircut

Posted under: Bodily modification, Dolls, fluff

barbiecoctaildresses1.JPG

Because I got so worked up over that post on Wednesday (quel bummer!), I had to take a break to play with my Barbies again.  Here’s another Barbie photo shoot, this one featuring three different sleeve lengths on the same coctail dress model.  (Susan:  do you like any of these, or do you still prefer the black-and-silver number?)  Barbie 1958 is in the red short sleeves, Barbie 1962 is in the blue 3/4 length sleeves, and Barbie ca. 1977 is in the seafoam sleeveless dress.  Barbie ca. 1977 is having a bad hair day every day for the rest of her life.  In my efforts to save the hair, it seems that I have destroyed the hair.  Barbie hair is really difficult to cut in any flattering way, because of the weird design of the rooting.  It’s just not designed for short hair or layering, I’m afraid!  Here’s a horrifying closeup of the damage:

barbiebadhair1.JPG

9 Responses to “Three fab dresses and one bad haircut”

1. GayProf on 21 Mar 2008 at 11:23 am #

Maybe it’s time for Barbie to invest in a sheitel.

2. Susan on 21 Mar 2008 at 11:42 am #

I love the bright blue, but I think I’d look better in that black and silver number… knits are terribly unforgiving, and I have many body parts that need it.

3. Sisyphus on 21 Mar 2008 at 12:59 pm #

The blue is gorgeous (tho I always love the color red too).

And Barbie, honey! Can we say, Jackie O pillbox hat?

Eh, you may need the big-brimmed “stepford wife” style instead.

4. Rad Readr on 21 Mar 2008 at 4:12 pm #

For Christmas Santa Claus should bring you a Puerto Rican barbie — and a copy of a fabulous article that came out some years ago.

Which leads me to wonder, at what point did Barbie go multi-culti? Have they darkened the tone on blond barbie in recent years?

5. Knitting Clio on 22 Mar 2008 at 7:50 am #

re: Barbie 1977 — turn her into punk rock Barbie and give her a Mohawk!

6. Historiann on 22 Mar 2008 at 10:08 am #

Rad–yes, I need some brown Barbies, big time. The “white” Barbies may just have a tan, like Malibu Barbie. A close personal friend of mine is going to get some ethnically diverse Barbies very soon–I hope to post some pictures of them, too.

KC: I’ll consider your suggestion–although it will look pretty bad, because she’ll still have “rooted hair” holes all over her head! (This makes me think that GayProf and Sisyphus are on the right track–wigs and hats can be cool!)

7. squadratomagico on 22 Mar 2008 at 10:10 am #

I have a South Asian Barbie with a long dark braid, a pink and gold sari-like garment, and a bindi (the mark on the forehead). She sure is purty!

8. Indyanna on 22 Mar 2008 at 11:48 am #

Historiann,

The Rittenhouse Square Barbies that I’m still planning on sending in to you as soon as I can figure out how to… well, it’s complicated…. will do little to diversify your pic gallery, but you takes ‘em as you see ‘em while walking along the city streets. And they may widen or even change the commentary arc!

9. How gud iz ur reeding comprehenshen and Barbie knitting skilz? : Historiann : History and sexual politics, 1492 to the present on 21 Nov 2008 at 6:07 am #

[...] not from the Historiann barbie knitwear collection, which you can see elements of here, here, and here, if you really want to.  It’s ski season here in Colorado, and since [...]