March
10th 2008
Free publicity for women’s history bloggers!

Posted under: Berkshire Conference, Gender, Intersectionality, women's history

pat-steir-1981.jpgAs one of the Program Committee co-Chairs of the 2008 Berkshire Conference on the History of Women, along with Peg Strobel and Susan Amussen, I sent out the following call for blogs (a CFB?) a few months ago:

“We on the 2008 Program Committee are assembling a links page for blogs that deal substantially with women’s history (both pedagogy as well as research and publications) and professional issues of interest to feminists both inside and outside of the historical profession.  While blogging is a free-form genre, and we understand that they will frequently offer a mixture of both serious concerns and humorous commentary, we cannot include blogs that focus predominantly on hobbies or other personal interests outside of women’s history and/or the aforementioned professional issues.”

Please let me know, in the comments below, if you have a blog you’d like us to list.  Just pop the link in your comment, and include a short list of the topics that you write about most frequently.  (You may also e-mail me if you have any questions.)  You do not have to be a professional historian or studying to become one in order to be listed–you just have to write a good blog that’s on point.  Also, I’d really appreciate recommendations for other people’s blogs you’d like to see on our links pages, which will appear on both this year’s conference website (www.berks.umn.edu) and on our main website (www.berksconference.org).  For those of you with blogs, I’d appreciate it if you’d help me spread the message–please link to this post with abandon, and encourage your friends to contribute.

As we approach the conference on June 12-15, I’ll be doing more blogging about the Berks, and highlighting some of the sessions that I think will be standouts, perhaps some “liveblogging” at the conference, and follow-up through the summer.  (Did you know that one of the fun things this academic conference offers is a dance?  F’real!  Check out the program, page 88, at the bottom.)

7 Responses to “Free publicity for women’s history bloggers!”

1. Knitting Clio on 10 Mar 2008 at 4:17 pm #

Cool — I believe you already have my blog.

re: the dance — it’s back. Now I can look like a fool again. . .

2. Historiann on 10 Mar 2008 at 4:21 pm #

Yes–you’re on my list. Please refer others to me so that we can expand it!

And yes, we’ll all be dancin’ fools. (Although I wonder that a few dance videos on YouTube would bring this quaint tradition to an end…? It’s kind of like a fraternity hazing–when those things get taped, the trouble begins.)

3. ortho stice on 10 Mar 2008 at 8:26 pm #

Sorry Historiann, I don’t have a blog to recommend. My blog is not well written or ever on point. In fact, it’s pointless.

But I am so happy to learn that the Berks has a dance. I didn’t know that. Now that I know, I will be sure to submit a paper or try to form a panel for next year because I love to dance!

4. Liz on 10 Mar 2008 at 9:05 pm #

Historiann, check out “New Kid on the Hallway”. She is a medieval historian and writes a lot about teaching and academia. http://newkidonthehallway.typepad.com/

I am looking forward to presenting at the Berks this year (my first time) and I’ve been enjoying your blog.

(And for the record Peg Strobel is my heroine)

5. DV on 10 Mar 2008 at 9:52 pm #

From time to time, I enjoy reading “I Blame the Patriarchy”
    at http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/

Will you (or the Berks) offer a list of the blogs that you compile?

6. Historiann on 11 Mar 2008 at 6:30 am #

Yes, DV–that’s the point! I’ll also announce the list here when we get it all together to post at http://www.berksconference.org and berks.umn.edu. Liz–thanks for New Kid–she’s a reader and commentor here. Perhaps she’ll chime in? (And I’ll pass your comments on to Peg!)

Ortho–sorry–you’ll have to wait until 2011 for the next Berks conference! (Thanks for spreading the word at your blog about this post and CFB!) That’s the heartbreak–it’s really hard when you’re a grad student or junior scholar to 1) figure out the deadlines and the cycle for these conferences and 2) submit a proposal about your work 15-18 months in advance of the conference. The Berks is an all-volunteer organization, without the paid staff that the AHA, OAH, and MLA have to help organize their mammoth annual conferences. (Our conference is mammoth, with 1,150 people on the program this year. I wonder if we should try to meet more often but have a smaller conference? The Berks may be at a crossroads…)

But, anyone is welcome to attend the 2008 Berks–you don’t have to be on the program. See the links under “Berkshire Conference” at left for more information. For those of you interested in the next Berks: they’ll probably pick the next site and conference theme next winter, and the deadline for proposals will probably be sometime in the winter or early spring of 2010. Watch for announcements at berksconference.org!

7. That’s So Twentieth Century: Women’s History and Web 2.0 « Knitting Clio on 24 May 2010 at 8:48 am #

[...] –organizers of the last  Berkshire Conference of Women’s Historians, more specifically Historiann,  put together a blog right before the most recent Big Berks meeting (this was   So, you can find [...]